PDA

View Full Version : China!

The Error Guy
09-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Just got to china!

I must say, it looks pretty impressive. It's not actually that cold either, just like waking up to a heavy frost in wellington!

Airport is flippen huge, it dwarfs all of NZ's airports put together!

Great firewall of china also seems to be working :p

Agent_24
09-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Photos?

bk T
09-01-2011, 01:19 PM

Airport is flippen huge, it dwarfs all of NZ's airports put together!

Even larger than Singapore's Changi Airport?

Renmoo
09-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Great firewall of china also seems to be working :p
The mere mention of that will put you under surveillance 24/7.

It's been good to know you, TEG.

The Error Guy
09-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Good to know you too, yeah I'll get some photo's up. as soon as security give me back my camera :D (actually I only have to change the batteries)

Icy weather or not its a spectacular day today, the big double glazed windows make it look like its 30 degrees outside rather than -8! Later I'm going up to the 80th floor of the china world tower which is just down the road.

http://www.sionrealestate.com/upload/2009/05/2009050316393990695.jpg

pctek
09-01-2011, 03:23 PM
china!

is flippen huge, it dwarfs all of NZ

Not to mention the population..........

learning
09-01-2011, 10:08 PM
If you just go and stand in Tienanmen square and do absolutely nothing (not even take pics) and just stand there for like 30 min....you will have chinese authorities come and grill you with all kinds of questins....especially if you look of western descent :D

Battleneter2
10-01-2011, 07:07 AM
If you just go and stand in Tienanmen square and do absolutely nothing (not even take pics) and just stand there for like 30 min....you will have chinese authorities come and grill you with all kinds of questins....especially if you look of western descent :D

Try standing for 30 minutes outside a FBI or other US government buildings staring at it :P

Either country you can be arrested and detained indefinitely without trial :)

george12
10-01-2011, 09:47 AM
I'll be heading over in 10 days, will you still be there?

I'll be in Shanghai at first, then Beijing around the 25th or so for about a week I think.

Exciting stuff :p I'm shocked to read you reckon its not too cold. My Chinese friend was warning me it could be -13!

Scouse
10-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Hi Error Guy.

Don't forget your rubber ring when you go swimming.

See here:
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Chinese_swimmers.jpg

Imagine if they all had a quiet leak at once.

SP8's
10-01-2011, 09:56 AM

The swimmers or the rubber rings ???

george12
10-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Hi Error Guy.

Don't forget your rubber ring when you go swimming.

See here:
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Chinese_swimmers.jpg

There are some things that should never follow the word 'synchronised'!

Nomad
10-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Are you going thru HK?

I found a nice place that you may want to try.

Thing is NZ's scale is nothing, look at the hotel and restaurant prices :p China may be a bit lesser than NYC/HK but in HK hotel prices of $900 for the cheapest room in a nice hotel, the same for a meal :D

If you are in HK, Tim Ho Wan has a 1 Michelin Star for Dim Sims which is HK food, the cheapest in the world; around $20NZ per person, yeah I know I know .. but people around the world even Americans queue outside every day, you get a ticket and return back in an hour or more. I read he used to work at the Four Seasons Hotel as a dumpling master which is either a 2 or 3 Michelin Star. Crap decor and customer service, only house 25 guests, but great food I heard and of course you aren't gonna get truffles or saffron into your dumplings either :D

Go to the one in Mongkok, not Sham Sui Poi. Of course if you want everything you could pay $2,000HKG at the Four Seasons, :lol:

When I have travelled and talked to others, a few have been to NZ and they say it might just be too new. The range of availability is not there.

The Error Guy
10-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I leave on the 24th :p

I doubt i'll be swimming this trip though, brrr!!! Off to the forbidden city today to be a proper "tourist" instead of fighting for survival in the markets.

A few years ago a mate of mine bought me a fake iPhone 3G from singapore, when in the markets they had fake iPhone 4's, nothing has changed with the software :p