PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Satellite A10 Dial Up Modem

zqwerty
08-01-2011, 08:57 PM
A friend asked me to set up the above laptop so it could be used on dial up, to my surprise I find that it appears not to have the hardware, a V92 modem, as it is not mentioned in Device Manager under Modems.

Is this an unplug-able unit which goes into the motherboard and is absent or is it a permanent feature of the motherboard which appears when the correct drivers are present.

I set up the phone number and password etc but of course there is nothing to dial out so it seems.

It is a second hand machine and seems to have an Agere V92 Modem on Hold software running, I dis-abled it but made no difference.

Greven
08-01-2011, 09:29 PM
I believe the A10 does have an easily removable modem, but there was one of the early WinXP satellite models that had a non-replaceable modem.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaA15/SatelliteA15_laptop_disassembly_1.htm

I have a box full of second hand laptop modems at work.

zqwerty
08-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks very much for the info, great diagrams for dissembly.

Do you have a modem which would be suitable for this laptop and if so can we do a deal?

How much would it cost? including transport to Chch.

Agent_24
08-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Is the modem disabled in BIOS or something?

My Toshiba P35 has a dialup modem attached on a little expansion card. Not sure what the interface type is.

zqwerty
08-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Ah well I guess it could be, I only just started to look into this problem tonight, I am away from my tools and home base so that is why I am not sure where to start, what is the key to hold down to get into the BIOS on a Toshiba Satellite A 10 Model No PSA10A-014WHP.

Agent_24
08-01-2011, 10:18 PM
I think it's F2 on my P35, probably the same on that one you've got.

zqwerty
08-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Ok well thanks for the help, not going to do anymore tonight until I get the correct screwdrivers and tools to dissemble from home. Will try again on another day when I am thinking better.

Still don't know whether modem pcb is missing or just dis-abled in BIOS certainly not showing up in Device Manager.