PDA

View Full Version : I just had

GameJunkie
08-01-2011, 09:23 PM
the biggest tech fright in my life:horrified.

had been playing rFactor for a while, then switched to watching an interview online in chrome when all of a sudden my laptop screen start flickering white then when completely white whilst the video was still playing.

at this point im freaking out, ctrl alt del doesnt work so i have to hold down the power button.

cpu fan(i think, or gpu fan) was going buts prior to it whitescreening on me.

anyway, turned it off and left it for a bit, underneath it was so hot i was couldnt believe.

turned it back on eventually but it is still whitescreened whilst going through the startup phase, came to the login part(still white screened) typed my password and loaded to the desktop.

at this point it was still whitescreened. left the room , came back and the screen was alright now.

reliability monitor didnt show anything afaik.

any clues as to what caused it??? simply overheating???

all seems to be ok now

cheers

ubergeek85
08-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Self-protection mechanism of the GPU?

GameJunkie
08-01-2011, 09:33 PM
thats what im thinking as well.

playing that game does amp up the temps quite a bit so i should probably tone it down :p

it was just the worst feeling when it happened as one could imagine

GameJunkie
08-01-2011, 10:32 PM
laptop just whitescreened on my again.

should i be worried or thinking about a reinstall??

quite concerned about this

Agent_24
08-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Does it have a Geforce 8 of some kind?

GameJunkie
08-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Laptop is a HP dv5 1209ax
has a ati HD3650 512MB gfx card

radium
08-01-2011, 11:17 PM
I don't think a recovery or reinstall will solve your problem. Let it cool down and see if it continues to do it.

Is it under warranty?

GameJunkie
08-01-2011, 11:19 PM
i've turned it off for the night so we'll see what its like tomorrow, might even leave it for a day.

nah, got it before i started uni in 2009 so well out of warranty :(

radium
08-01-2011, 11:22 PM
If it continues to do try the consumers guarantee act. Jump up and down about it! Say it may be out of manufactures warranty but a "reasonable time" is longer than two years for a notebook.

GameJunkie
08-01-2011, 11:26 PM
i'll keep that in mind.

trouble is im going overseas for two weeks on tuesday so wont have time to doing anything useful.

oh and as a side note, can i reinstall vista on my laptop from the recovery discs when it has W7 on it already??

ubergeek85
08-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Yep.

GameJunkie
08-01-2011, 11:31 PM
cool thanks. i may consider doing that?

i've already had to spend a significant amount of money to repair the keyboard, dont want to have to do it again. :lol:

GameJunkie
09-01-2011, 12:31 PM
update: had the laptop on for about half an hour or so and no issues.

just have to keep an eye on the temps i guess

wainuitech
09-01-2011, 12:44 PM
If it continues to do try the consumers guarantee act. Jump up and down about it! Say it may be out of manufactures warranty but a "reasonable time" is longer than two years for a notebook. IF its overheating, AND its found to be full of dust and dirt, all the jumping up and down wont do bugger all. Dust build up (one of the main cause of overheating) is not covered by any warranty, OR the CGA.

I've had people do exactly what you are suggesting - and they look bloody stupid when the computer is taken apart and full of crap.Actually had one guy watch me, the cooling ducts in the laptop were caked in Gib dust - his own stupid fault -- Guess what he was doing at his house ;) .

pctek
09-01-2011, 04:24 PM
One of the reasons I hate laptops.