PDA

View Full Version : File Server

Myth
07-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Sometime in the next week, I am going to get around to adding a harddrive to my current computer as I am running out of space.

The harddrive is significantly larger than the 80GB one I have now (this 80GB drive will become my Gentoo OS backup).

Currently, I have a small (13GB) partition that I use to share files on my network. I find it easier serving from my computer as it is the only one on 24/7.

What I want to do is this: download Windows updates (primarily XP and 7), Firefox, and other software; and have those sitting on the server for when I fix peoples computers. This brings me to the first question: is there a NZ server to obtain these from? (I am pretty sure Orcon gives free upload/download within NZ).

I also want to have access to the server from other computers (e.g. when I am at parents place in Tauranga for instance). Whats the best way to set this up?

Anything I should be aware of with this arrangement?

Wayne H
07-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Windows updates, Short answer no, MS says no to storing or redistributing MS updates except service packs. the long answer is to get a copy of w2k3 or 2k8 180 day trial then install on vmware, then install WSUS (windows Software update services), to do full update will take approx 10-30GB depending in what you choose. then before 180 days has run out do a new install ofwindows and WSUS, then select to upate from the old wsus untill all of the updates are complete. then select to update from ms again and you don't have to download the whole 30gb again. port forward to this server. hope this helps

wainuitech
07-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Windows updates, Short answer no, MS says no to storing or redistributing MS updates except service packs.OH really ???

Microsoft even tell you how to do it (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166) - that link, use IE in the update catalog, as it wont work with any other browser.

Another way:
A way to get updates (any OS) - do a manual scan for updates, note down the KB number - then either do a google search for the KB and most of the time the first or second result will be a link to MS site and the download.

BETTER way:

There are also programs available that will download for you. One is WUD (http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/)- this ones FREE - you install the program on your Computer, then install from the Update Lists URL (instructions on their site) - download the sub program for the OS/ Office you want.

You can make a unattended install CD/DVD, Agree to the terms from MS (once) and let it go and do its thing, it will still take the same amount of time to install, but you dont have to do downloads.

They have not made one for W7 yet, but XP, Vista, and Office will bring through the majority. Whats left ( not downloaded) is only tiny - maybe a few MB's.

wainuitech
07-01-2011, 10:57 PM
I also want to have access to the server from other computers (e.g. when I am at parents place in Tauranga for instance). Whats the best way to set this up?

Unless your OS is a proper Server OS, or at least XP Pro, then the easiest way is to install/use Team Viewer (http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx) - you would set up the complete version on the Home PC ( "Server" left on of course), using your own Password , then at your parents place, install Teamviewer there, enter in the code TV gave you at home, along with your password, and its just like sitting in front of your own PC.

Team Viewer has a file transfer option, so you can transfer files from home to your parents place and visa versa.

"TeamViewer is free for all non-commercial users!" :D And of course while at your parents you are not "working";)

Agent_24
07-01-2011, 11:37 PM
WSUS is a bit overkill, not sure it would even work if you didn't have a domain set up?

wainuitech
08-01-2011, 09:19 AM
WSUS is a bit overkill, not sure it would even work if you didn't have a domain set up? According to the system Spec's you would need "Windows Server 2003 SP1 or later, or Windows ServerŪ 2008" as described on the Technet site (http://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/cc708576(WS.10).aspx) to run WSUS-- doesn't say anything about Domains, But I know when you set up servers you have the opportunity to add a domain.
Good idea, as long as a person has the correct hardware/software to start with.

Myth
08-01-2011, 12:51 PM
OK, thanks for the help regards Windows Updates.

I should mention the computer uses Linux, and is already a samba server. Supports ssh as well
Would making it an ftp server have many benefits? If so, whats a good ftp server app?
Would I need to be concerned with iptables for external access? I have never really gotten my head round iptables :(

Agent_24
08-01-2011, 01:05 PM
If it's Linux I guess you can forget WSUS.

gcarmich
08-01-2011, 03:49 PM
For updates use ipcop as your firewall with the update accelerator add on.

Using WSUS will mean making changes to the registry of every machine you want to talk to the WSUS server and remembering to remove them when done.

fred_fish
09-01-2011, 10:08 PM
OK, thanks for the help regards Windows Updates.

I should mention the computer uses Linux, and is already a samba server. Supports ssh as well
Would making it an ftp server have many benefits? If so, whats a good ftp server app?
FTP has the "benefit" of transmitting your password in clear text :illogical, stick with SSH (SFTP uses your SSH server for secure file transfer and is available in all good FTP clients)

Would I need to be concerned with iptables for external access? I have never really gotten my head round iptables :(No need to. In your router, just forward a random high port (say 12022 or whatever) to port 22 on your server. This will drastically reduce your logs filling up with port 22 probes. You just need to tell your clients to use your chosen port rather than the default 22.

johnd
10-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Would I need to be concerned with iptables for external access? I have never really gotten my head round iptables :(

Most of the time you don't have to - just use a GUI interface such as Firestarter (http://www.fs-security.com/).

Chilling_Silence
11-01-2011, 06:17 AM
I'm with Fred Fish, use SSH (There's a number of GUI's available for it if you don't like using the command line) to transfer files, and just host things on a random port.

Myth
17-01-2011, 01:36 PM
OK, thanks for the advice with ssh and sftp - looks like thats the better way to go about it.

In regards Windows Updates, used WUD to download updates files.
If I have a new install, how do I then go about installing them (i. non-slipstreamed media was used). Theres approx 80 files... can I just move them all to C:\Windows\Software Distribution\Download and let Win Updates do the rest? Or is this not really a good way?

All windows updates files are sitting on Linux server, I don't mind copying across the network if this is going to be the best way

Ultimately I would like to update windows computers from this server (or an XP partition if thats what it takes)

Myth
17-01-2011, 01:55 PM
For updates use ipcop as your firewall with the update accelerator add on.

Using WSUS will mean making changes to the registry of every machine you want to talk to the WSUS server and remembering to remove them when done.Just re-read this post... ipcop requires another standalone server. I am trying to avoid doing this