PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express

B.M.
07-01-2011, 09:30 AM
With Outlook Express, when your inbox gets full and you save it to another folder, on another drive, (just in case you need it sometime in the future), is there a programme that can view that folder without importing the whole darn folder back into Outlook Express?

I tried MailViewer but couldnít get it to work because it wouldnít let me go anywhere other than my current inbox. :confused:

Not much point in that because I already know what Iím looking for isnít there. :D

:thanks

wainuitech
07-01-2011, 09:51 AM
If you have saved the mails as .eml files (looks like an envelope) by going from the email you are reading , File/Save as. Then you can simply double click the mail and OE will automatically open it, doesn't matter where it is. If you have exported the complete .dbx file, then thats a different story.

FoxyMX
07-01-2011, 10:38 AM
DBXtract is able to open the contents of DBX files but I don't think you can view individual emails with it. You need to extract the entire folder but it doesn't export all the emails back to Outlook Express.

Not the best solution but better than nothing I guess.

B.M.
07-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Ahhhhh, right, I just copied the whole Inbox as it was to another folder on another drive. :o

So we have: Inbox.dbx 1,257,561 KB. which explains why I have no desire to resurrect the whole lot just to dig out one E-Mail. :D

Would changing my Mail programme from Outlook Express make things simpler in future? :confused:

SP8's
07-01-2011, 12:26 PM
The new Outlook in Office 2010 automatically saves "archives" older emails into a separate folder in "My Documents" .... had a hell of a time getting my older stuff back when they were somehow saved as .dbx files ... like you, just for a couple of emails I needed.

wainuitech
07-01-2011, 12:32 PM
If you only want to view/ Read them in the dbx file, then try Recovery Toolbox (http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/dbx_extract.html) - its actually a paid software for doing data recovery of corrupted emails, BUT the demo, will let you select what ever mail you want from the dbx file and by double clicking it, will allow you to read it.

I use this and Outlook Recovery ( paid) to recover customers emails -- works real nice. Simply run the program after installing, point it at your backed up .dbx file and it will open it exposing the contents.