PDA

View Full Version : Think it's called naked DSL

SP8's
06-01-2011, 07:06 PM
5 Students in a flat ... don't want phone ... just Internet.

Can anyone give advice as to which company would be the most economical ... and please don't ask how much bandwidth they'll be using ... they're students ... haven't got a clue ... :D

Any options or good sites to visit for info would be helpful .... remember we're in Dunedin so not sure what ISP's cover this are.

TIA ... Dave.

notechyet
06-01-2011, 07:27 PM
5 Students in a flat ... don't want phone ... just Internet.

Can anyone give advice as to which company would be the most economical ... and please don't ask how much bandwidth they'll be using ... they're students ... haven't got a clue ... :D

Any options or good sites to visit for info would be helpful .... remember we're in Dunedin so not sure what ISP's cover this are.

TIA ... Dave.
Hi
here (http://www.nzconnections.net.nz/Internet_Plan_and_Pricing_Comparisons:_Naked_DSL_p lans) are a few of them.

veldthui
07-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Naked DSL was supposed to be the next greatest thing for those wanting an internet connection but no phone being hearlded by the goverment of the day.
Never really happened did it!
The big ones still require you to have a phone even if you dont want it and yous till have to pay that $50+ for the line. Rip off merchants comes to mind.

pctek
07-01-2011, 06:58 AM
SNap if you want Nadsl.

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2011, 07:33 AM
Whatever they do, get a router with Gargoyle on it so they can implement per-device bandwidth limits / shaping / reporting, or get WebGauge!

SP8's
07-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the input guys ... and to Chill ... already sussed that one out :D

Been difficult enough trying to get everyone moved in ... don't want the hassle of disputes over who used what and have to do the whole bloody thing in reverse .... :waughh:

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2011, 07:58 AM
:D :D

Cellux
07-01-2011, 08:42 AM
SNap if you want Nadsl.

Both Snap and Orcon are unmetered partners with TVNZ On Demand.

http://tvnz.co.nz/video/unmetered-partners-3110577

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2011, 09:55 AM
I believe that's because Snap wholesale off Orcon ;)

SP8's
07-01-2011, 10:52 AM

There's a word to describe people like you Chill .... unfortunately I enjoy my time in this forum and do not wish to be banned by the mods .... that said ... you obviously have a good grasp of the situation and enjoy a good laugh at other expense ... :p

SP8's
07-01-2011, 10:53 AM

There's are words to describe people like you Chill .... unfortunately I enjoy my time in this forum and do not wish to be banned by the mods .... that said ... you obviously have a good grasp of the situation and enjoy a good laugh at another's expense ... :p

SP8's
07-01-2011, 10:56 AM
sorry ... double post !!

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2011, 12:36 PM
You mean triple post? ;)

Don't worry, lets just say I've been in that situation, and much worse, on multiple occasions.... :cool:

johnd
08-01-2011, 07:08 PM
The big ones still require you to have a phone even if you dont want it and yous till have to pay that $50+ for the line. Rip off merchants comes to mind.

Not really - if you have POTS you pay for maintenance of the line back to the telephone exchange. Take the phone away - somebody still has to pay don't they? Phone rental is an anachronism - use of the line is what should be charged for.

veldthui
11-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Not really - if you have POTS you pay for maintenance of the line back to the telephone exchange. Take the phone away - somebody still has to pay don't they? Phone rental is an anachronism - use of the line is what should be charged for.

Maintenance charge is seperate from the line charge and extra. You dont have it then you get charged and you call them to fix an issue (you get charged anyway if it is past the end point anyway).

Correct. I pay a charge for my Internet connection. That is all I want. However I still have to pay Telecom (or one of the others) around $50 for a telephone account I neither want or use.

johnd
11-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Maintenance charge is seperate from the line charge and extra. You dont have it then you get charged and you call them to fix an issue (you get charged anyway if it is past the end point anyway).

Correct. I pay a charge for my Internet connection. That is all I want. However I still have to pay Telecom (or one of the others) around $50 for a telephone account I neither want or use.

There is a house wiring charge which is optional and a line charge (not optional). I think the phone on the end of it (or not) confuses the issue. The point is that internet charges do not cover the line rental - somebody has to pay! I don't believe the $50 you talk about is really for a phone is it? It is the maintenance cost of the line IMO.

veldthui
12-01-2011, 06:40 AM
There is a house wiring charge which is optional and a line charge (not optional). I think the phone on the end of it (or not) confuses the issue. The point is that internet charges do not cover the line rental - somebody has to pay! I don't believe the $50 you talk about is really for a phone is it? It is the maintenance cost of the line IMO.

Incorrect. There is no house wiring charge. You pay for anything past the connection point regardless. The maintenance charge if for the line from wherever to your house connection point (usually at the side of the house). If you dont pay this and it breaks down then you pay for it being fixed.

Naked DSL was suppose to remove the cost of paying for the line. I pay over 1/2 as much to Telecom for the line as I do for my internet connection. The naked DSL was suppose to get rid of this and I can but only if I change to an ISP who does it which is very limited at present. As such with Telecom I have a phone line I never used but seem to get heaps of calls on (most likely people selling stuff), and entry in the white pages with the phone number (which I have to pay extra for if I want it removed), Cant see the logic of having to pay for nothing rather than not paying for something.

Safari
12-01-2011, 06:55 AM
You might be glad of that working phone line if there is a major disaster of some sort with power outages and all the cell phones stop working.

dugimodo
12-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Naked DSL so far hasn't really lived up to it's promise, the costs I have seen are almost the same as the ones that come with a phone.

As for wiring maintenance fees, the line up to your demarcation point belongs (in most cases) to telecom and maintenance of it is at their cost regardless of what fees you pay. The optional wiring maintenance fee you can add to your phone rental does in fact cover house wiring after the demarcation and is intended to offer peace of mind to people who don't want unexpected charges when there is a fault. There are conditions to the cover of course, and if a fault is caused for example by a 3rd party alarm company or sky tv jackpoint or possibly some customer done wiring (for eg) they may charge you for it.

johnd
12-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Incorrect. There is no house wiring charge. You pay for anything past the connection point regardless. The maintenance charge if for the line from wherever to your house connection point (usually at the side of the house). If you dont pay this and it breaks down then you pay for it being fixed.

There is an optional fee ("insurance") for the house wiring - see http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,8748,205402-1007,00.html .

Naked DSL was suppose to remove the cost of paying for the line.

That sounds good - but who pays for the maintenance to the exchange or fibre cabinet if that is so? Part of the Telecom rental (http://www.telecom.co.nz/homeline ) is to pay for line maintenance. if you don't pay Telecom directly, then the ISP will have to, so you get hit either way. That is why my Xnet Fusion is so expensive.

PCT Joe
13-01-2011, 06:22 PM
I'd just refer to Chill as awesome IMO :P

/end suckup.

-I'd suggest orcon; I loved them when I controlled the internet at my place. Excellent customer service AND product stability and speed, not to mention quite cheap.