PDA

View Full Version : Built My First Computer But No Signal :(

icow
06-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi, Today I built my first (and not last :)) new computer. Every thing turns on fine except my monitor says no signal :(. I'm using the onbaord gfx not a card. Rest of specs see sig. Any ideas?

gary67
06-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Tried another monitor or another cable?

dugimodo
06-01-2011, 09:54 AM
hmm, tricky as most suggestions I had require you to see the display output.

Does the monitor have more than one input type? and if so can you manually select them from the monitors inbuilt menu ? normally this happens automagically but not always.

Also if you have the option try a different monitor, or switch from DVI - VGA etc. Also if you are using a DVI-VGA adapter bear in mind many onboard graphics cards don't support this.

icow
06-01-2011, 09:54 AM
new monitor and cable tried. Still no signal. :(
I know both monitors work.

icow
06-01-2011, 09:59 AM
hmm, tricky as most suggestions I had require you to see the display output.

Does the monitor have more than one input type? and if so can you manually select them from the monitors inbuilt menu ? normally this happens automagically but not always.

Also if you have the option try a different monitor, or switch from DVI - VGA etc. Also if you are using a DVI-VGA adapter bear in mind many onboard graphics cards don't support this.

Can't select anything on menus as it's vga only and only 1 input. If not connected it says cable not connected so it knows that it's plugged in. If this helps HD doesn't appear to be going and also the HD has drivers for a AGP card. Do I need to plugin the ATX12v?

pctek
06-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Do I need to plugin the ATX12v?

I was just about to ask if you had done that.
Of course you do!!!! Not a VGA problem - a power to the CPU problem.

nedkelly
06-01-2011, 10:02 AM
the board could actually not be booting at all.
Does it beep during the startup period?

EDIT: oops did not see that part about he ATX12v

dugimodo
06-01-2011, 10:04 AM
You say everything turns on fine, are you sure ? how can you tell with no screen ?
Do you have a graphics card handy that you can borrow to see if that helps ?

Does the motherboard have a speaker attached (or built on) and if so does it beep once during start up ? Have you connected power to the 4 or 6 pin header on the motherboard?

Some stuff to try:
make sure all power connectors on motherboard are connected
Check RAM is configured as per the book, or try just 1 stick temporarirly
disconnect all drives and see if the PC POSTs
Make sure CPU fan is connected to the CPU header on the motherboard
Try a case fan connected to the motherboard (occasionally I have come across systems that by default require a case fan to boot)
as mentioned onboard graphics wont work through a DVI - VGA adapter

edit :) - 2 posts well I was typing covered some of this

icow
06-01-2011, 10:07 AM
I was just about to ask if you had done that.
Of course you do!!!! Not a VGA problem - a power to the CPU problem.

go figure.
Mental note: plug everything in. Slight problem I don't have a ATX12v plug thingy on my PSU. Can you buy 6pin PCI-E to 12vATX adapters?

nedkelly
06-01-2011, 10:14 AM
If you have 6pin pcie you should have a 12v one, could be 8 or 6 pins instead of 4
Which PSU do you have? and board?

icow
06-01-2011, 10:23 AM
If you have 6pin pcie you should have a 12v one, could be 8 or 6 pins instead of 4
Which PSU do you have? and board?

Thanks but I'm an idiot and forgot that 8pin ones can break apart to form 2 4pins. :lol:

Now I have to conform and buy myself a copy of windows.

nedkelly
06-01-2011, 10:30 AM
go linux and use wine?

icow
06-01-2011, 10:44 AM
go linux and use wine?

I am. Ubuntu.
Because my current HD didn't like the transition from 1.8ghz Pentium 4 512mb of ram and shitty agp card to 3.4ghz Phenom 2gb RAM and built in nvidia gfx card.

nedkelly
06-01-2011, 10:52 AM
hmm might want to edit out that word between "and" and "agp"

pctek
06-01-2011, 11:19 AM
hmm might want to edit out that word between "and" and "agp"

Why? It probably is shitty..........:devil

The Error Guy
06-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Good to see the swear filter hasn't taken a break over the new year :devil

Glad to see things solved icow, I hope you didn't want any of those P3 boards because from memory when SWMBO made me clean out my workshop they went to trash palace :p

Good work with your build!

icow
06-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Good to see the swear filter hasn't taken a break over the new year :devil

Glad to see things solved icow, I hope you didn't want any of those P3 boards because from memory when SWMBO made me clean out my workshop they went to trash palace :p

Good work with your build!

Thanks sorry I completely forgot about the p3's.

I have a new problem now (yay!): I have tried Ubuntu 10.10 and 9.10, Kubuntu 10.10 and all of them have booted once or twice off the disk when no HD has been attached. Then refuse to boot after that with or without a HD attached. I'm getting a new sata HD 2morrow so at the moment I have a 40gig hd and dvd-rom drive running of the same ide cable (mobo only has 1 ide port) but they don't seem to work together (even tho they can from the same computer originally).

The error(s) is some stuff in linux dos/terminal/what ever about it not being able to load the filesystem.hfs or similar

Any ideas?

pctek
06-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm getting a new sata HD 2morrow so at the moment I have a 40gig hd and dvd-rom drive running of the same ide cable

Jumpers on the drives configured right? Boot order correct?
What PSU you got?

icow
06-01-2011, 01:21 PM
PSU = Aywun 450w (did a google search only to find that they were based in hong knog and china then almost shat myself) will be replaced when I buy a gfx card.
Jumpers was what I was about to start sorting they could be wrong (or not). Boot order is right (i think).

icow
06-01-2011, 01:40 PM
jumpers in order and boot order right.

pctek
06-01-2011, 01:56 PM
PSU = Aywun 450w.

Hmm. Well get a better one even if it isn't the problem.
Does the PC boot at all with both drives connected (without trying any CDs)

icow
06-01-2011, 02:02 PM
yes. But the hd has nothing (maybe a corrupted copy of windows) on it so it asks for bootable media.

wainuitech
06-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Those 450W "Aywun" MEGA POWER PSU's are Ok for general use.

I have them in two of workshop PC's since they get a hammering unplugging, testing damaged Hardware everything , wanted a cheaper PSU in case something blew them -- They have had one hell of a hammering, including being shorted by one Hard Drive -- and they still work fine.
While there are better ones available they are not bottom of the line. One of my servers also has one, been on now for as long as I can remember, gets daily work and never failed.

The OS not installing: This is more than likely the problem (99% sure)

One thing that can often be the problem, and I have seen this MANY times - IF the HDD and Optical Drive are on the one IDE ribbon, the OS wont install esp if the New board has only one IDE port.

Attach the Optical drive and HDD separately if two IDE ports on the board, if the board has only one IDE port, and the rest SATA - you HAVE to have either a SATA HDD drive, OR SATA Optical drive.

Once the OS is installed, THEN you can run both off the One IDE.

Someone else in this forum had the exact same problem, separated the two drives after I advised to and it worked perfectly.

icow
06-01-2011, 06:37 PM

I have them in two of workshop PC's since they get a hammering unplugging, testing damaged Hardware everything , wanted a cheaper PSU in case something blew them -- They have had one hell of a hammering, including being shorted by one Hard Drive -- and they still work fine.
While there are better ones available they are not bottom of the line. One of my servers also has one, been on now for as long as I can remember, gets daily work and never failed.

The OS not installing: This is more than likely the problem (99% sure)

One thing that can often be the problem, and I have seen this MANY times - IF the HDD and Optical Drive are on the one IDE ribbon, the OS wont install esp if the New board has only one IDE port.

Attach the Optical drive and HDD separately if two IDE ports on the board, if the board has only one IDE port, and the rest SATA - you HAVE to have either a SATA HDD drive, OR SATA Optical drive.

Once the OS is installed, THEN you can run both off the One IDE.

Someone else in this forum had the exact same problem, separated the two drives after I advised to and it worked perfectly.

Thanks I should be able to do this. Hardly matters now as I get my copy of Windows 7 and a new SATA HD in the mail 2morrow. (Just wanted to get the PC going today).

Will post pics and full specs 2morrow.

Agent_24
06-01-2011, 09:08 PM

But almost everything has short-circuit protection...

The problem with cheap PSUs like that if nothing else then always the capacitors.

For example all the Hyenas I have seen have died a slow death from crappy Fuhjyyu capacitors which die due to being crap.

Yet I have some old AT PSUs at least 3 times older which use nothing but Rubycon and they still work just fine.

Paul.Cov
06-01-2011, 09:28 PM
One more item to beware... you might have initially configured your boot order as you want, but based on my new-ish ASUS board, the BIOS will try to guess the appropriate boot order whenever your hardware changes. Specifically if you add a second HDD or boot without the HDD connected it may re-configure the setup that you had in the BIOS regarding Boot order and which IDE drive to place first in the list of IDE drives.

Agent_24
06-01-2011, 09:34 PM
based on my new-ish ASUS board, the BIOS will try to guess the appropriate boot order whenever your hardware changes.

I've got an older Intel board which does that. To say that it's ****ing annoying would be an understatement.

icow
06-01-2011, 09:38 PM
One more item to beware... you might have initially configured your boot order as you want, but based on my new-ish ASUS board, the BIOS will try to guess the appropriate boot order whenever your hardware changes. Specifically if you add a second HDD or boot without the HDD connected it may re-configure the setup that you had in the BIOS regarding Boot order and which IDE drive to place first in the list of IDE drives.

Thanks (I also have a new-ish asus board in my pc that did just that when I tried different HD's and CD drives).

I've got an older Intel board which does that. To say that it's ****ing annoying would be an understatement.

+1