PDA

View Full Version : upgrading wind.95 to wind.me

23-09-2001, 12:38 PM
I was happy with my wind.95 untill I was given a web cam that requires 98 or me.
my pc is pent.200mmx 32mb 4.4 gb h/d(2.92gb free) level 2 cache sram.march 1998
wind.me requies 150Mhz & 32 mb.(I've bought the upgrade)
I have been told that 200mmx will be to slow . How slow is slow will it drive me crazy . we use the pc mainly for emails and internet not big games . has anyone tried ME on 200mmx. I cannot afford a larger pc should I just store the web cam and ME upgarde in my bottom draw and forget about it.any help appreciated.

23-09-2001, 02:27 PM
If you have win95b then you can add USB support to it with a patch from MS. Hopefully you will be able to return ME.

The stated requirements are always well below what is actually useable.

I've used ME on a 233Mhz processor with 48mb ram and it was very slow.

If you do want to use it, then you will need upgrade your ram to make it atleast sort of useable, a min of 64, preferably more.

If you can't use 95, then have a look for 98.

23-09-2001, 04:23 PM
Adding USB support to Win 95b will not necessarily allow a USB camera to work. (I've tried it.)
Check to see if the camera also has a serial port option.
It's a bit slower transferring the photos, but better than slowing down your PC by downgrading to Windows 98 or ME.

24-09-2001, 09:11 AM
Hi Graeme,

I had Win ME on a 166 with 32mb RAM for a little while, and it ran fine. Slow for sure, but if you only use it for internet and email, all really that is slow is the initial startup, and at 200mhz, you're probably already used to a relatively slow startup, its not much different. If that's ALL you use the computer for, then only install minimal setup, and it should be fine. If, however, you do run other programs, Win98SE is probably a much better way to go. I have that running on a 100 with 32mb, and I'm having no problems at all, loads as fast as ME on my 700 :) LOL