PDA

View Full Version : Hardware for a home server?

stuffed
05-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Am looking to setup a home server probably using Windows Home Server software. Would like about 2 TB min for a start but be able to expand easily as required. It appears that HP has dropped out of this market. Any suggestions?
Many thanks.

wainuitech
05-01-2011, 04:40 PM
My "Home Built" WHS - oh hell have a look at the attached Pic (via the remote desktop) :D and that hums along quite happy, never stalled it yet, and it gets a hammering.

Simply build your Own, and buy the software.

As for expanding the storage. You simply turn it off, attach another drive(s) even USB external - and add to the "pool".

chiefnz
05-01-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm running Server 2008 on a P4 3.6GHz and Intel PERC board, 3GB of RAM.

Storage:
1 x 80GB = OS and Apps
4 x 500GB for all my media

All PC's have access to the shares via wired or wireless connections.

I've had it running for about 2 years now, I originally had Server 2003 on there but then upgraded to 2008 to make things a little Windows 7 friendly which is what we are all running at home.

You don't need an overly grunty machine. Anything under 3-4 years should be sweet and will do the job unless you're going to be running streaming over your network.

Cheers,

The Error Guy
05-01-2011, 05:15 PM
I used to run a server. Then I pwned off my networking hardware to buy newer PC stuff since the PC users in my family are so tech limited it wasn't worth it.

No someone has got an iTouch and the blasted little rotten apple refuses to work unless I take wireless N back to 150mb/s. Wrecks havoc on HD media streaming.

Anyway, wired or wireless? Wired it should be fine with a 100mbps NIC however for that added headroom (and if all/most of the other connected devices support it) you could get a Gigabit card.

With wireless get a N compatible Router and NIC for nice smooth HD video streaming and fast file sharing however if its just file sharing 54mbps over the common G mode should be fine.

Space is an easy solution should you need to expand.

Processor does not have to be ultra quick. generally anything over 3GHz will suit most home user applications

stuffed
05-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Hey you guys great stuff but you troops are techos (and good on ya) but would like to get something off the shelf if could!

Alex B
05-01-2011, 05:26 PM
I'd hold off for a little bit, the next version of WHS is due out in the first 6 months of this year.

ryanjames.powell
05-01-2011, 06:56 PM
I'd hold off for a little bit, the next version of WHS is due out in the first 6 months of this year.

The only problem with that is it's going to be worse than the current version, because Microsoft has decided to remove drive extender from it. This means you can no longer just add another hard drive and extend the storage (see here http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/microsoft-dumps-drive-extender-from-windows-home-server-effectively-neuters-product/10543).

So since the OP said this was something they wanted to do, I would suggest the current version is better.

pcuser42
05-01-2011, 07:13 PM
I use an old Dell PC with nLited Windows XP Professional on it as my server :D

256MB RAM, 1.something GHz, 750GB HDD attached to a PCI SATA controller.

gary67
05-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I use an old pentium4 computer with XP home, no monitor controlled via teamviewer. I just setup a drive for backups and another for media and everything else talks to it when I need to access files, was going to install some server software but for home use decided it wasn't worth the cost since the old computer cost me nothing. I just reinstalled XP when I got it

psycik
05-01-2011, 09:27 PM
I've just rebuilt my 5.5 TB WHS server as a W2k8 server with Hyper-V. I did it because of the WHSv2 (Vail) loosing the Drive extender and as when I built my system I put in 8GB of ram and an AMD 5000 Dual core CPU. But this is because I intended to virtualise a few machines.

So with the rebuilt system I have WHSv1 as a VM with physical control of a 2x2tb drive and a 1.5. The W2k8 has a 1Tb drive for VMs - of which it also runs a Windows 7 a Windows 2003 server and a linux machine.

I don't have desktop any more, just the virtualised Windows 7 which I access via a work laptop.

veldthui
05-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Me I had a homebuilt Quad Core with 4GB and 2x600GB drives running Vista64 with a nVidia GTX280 in it which I added 2x1TB drives, disconnected the 600GB drives and installed Windows Server 2008 R2 on. Also added Exchange Server 2010 and it is running well. Only had one hardware update from MS cause issues (had to restore from the daily backup). Have a 4TB NAS drive as a backup for all my PC's.
Had to do quite a bit of reading for a start but works well. Can fire up the Hyper-V if required but no need yet. 4GB is a bit short for memory but is okay at present.
Exchange Server 2010 is great and mail comes straight in. No waiting or polling ISP or other servers. Bit of a pain setting up with a dynamic IP but dyndns takes care of most of that.

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2011, 11:09 PM
I've been using a 1.6Ghz fanless Atom, with a 4GB CF card running FreeNAS and 3x external USB HDD's.

I've also used a 500Mhz Geode on a PC Engines Alix system before, they're AWESOME!

For WHS, you can install on almost anything, I've done it on a 1.6Ghz Atom just fine :)

The Error Guy
06-01-2011, 07:51 AM
Well, for the wireless/wired netwroking stuff it's all off the shelf.

Wireless: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=549
Wired: http://www.netgear.com/products/business/adapters/wired-adapters/GA311.aspx

Now i'm not saying you should get these ones specifically. they were just examples however all the hardware you will need can be bought in a store.

Deimos
06-01-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm running Server 2008 R2 on the following hardware:
Core 2 Quad Q6600
8GB Ram
Asus P5Q Premium (4 full length PCIe slots, 4 x 1GB NICs on board, trunked)
Dell PERC5i with BBU
8 x 1TB WD GP (RAID 5, formats to about 6.5TB)
4 x 320GB WD RE (RAID 10 for OS and VMs)
Silverstone 1200W PSU
Silverstone TJ07 case

Build your own one and you can put together something awesome.
If my business does well this year I will look at upgrading to dual xeons with at least 12GB ram.

Chilling_Silence
06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
I will look at upgrading to dual xeons with at least 12GB ram.

What for ?

pcuser42
06-01-2011, 03:01 PM
What for ?

Bragging rights :D

The Error Guy
06-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Bragging rights :D

SOMEONE has to win the local dick waving contest!

Heck, I wrote up specs for something like that. Then the guy I told just laughed and took the piss every time :p not impressed :stare:

Ah well, do you NEED that much power? don't waste your money!

Blam
06-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Am looking to setup a home server probably using Windows Home Server software. Would like about 2 TB min for a start but be able to expand easily as required. It appears that HP has dropped out of this market. Any suggestions?
Many thanks.

Depends on what you'll be serving....

If you're just doing file serving and some media streaming then an atom build or low power AMD will do fine.
e.g.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Desktops/No-monitor/auction-344032787.htm

But I would probably get a reputable company like CL to build it. Essentially, it would be just the same as buying it off the shelf. Might want to also choose a better quality and larger case.

At the moment there are not many (that I known of) WHS "off the shelf" servers for sale in NZ, so you'll probably have to go custom built.

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2011, 08:01 AM
FreeNAS can also re-encode things for sharing through DAAP I believe, so I suppose in such a case it might be beneficial to have something slightly more grunty. Still, it doesn't require THAT much processing power?!

nedkelly
07-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Wish I could use freenas on my box I am building from scratch (including makeing a mobo try cause its not a pc case im using).
But the sata raid card I bought does not work under freenas