PDA

View Full Version : iSky available

wainuitech
04-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Anyone who has sky, keep an eye on your email, you may get an invite to try out the new iSky.

Testing it now, works fine with IE8 and Opera, but with Firefox :yuck: keeps saying episode not available, yet works OK with other browser (another reason not to use FF - its going backwards)

Streaming is perfect, no lag, smooth as. Although it does take a while to load at the start. Only Beta a spose.

Two screen shots, one normal, and one full screen (for the kids)

somebody
04-01-2011, 10:26 AM
What's the range of programming like?

wainuitech
04-01-2011, 10:46 AM
What's the range of programming like? From what I can see, most (if not all) of what you would get on Normal TV.

Some you have to be subscribers as the TV (movie channel) , others you can pay for to watch - Screen shots attached.

Agent_24
04-01-2011, 11:29 AM
They should be paying you so you can pay your ISP to get a bigger data cap so you can actually watch all this stuff.

somebody
04-01-2011, 11:31 AM
That looks good.

They should be paying you so you can pay your ISP to get a bigger data cap so you can actually watch all this stuff.

A few ISPs have done a deal to not meter iSky usage.

Trev
04-01-2011, 12:08 PM
If your ISP is Vodafone, Orcon, Slingshot, Snap, Farmside, Whoosh, Xnet or Wizwireless it doesn't eat into your monthly broadband allowance.
:)

The Error Guy
04-01-2011, 12:49 PM
iBuy iSky!

forums12345
05-01-2011, 01:20 AM
bandwith is a problem like always.

kenj
05-01-2011, 05:51 AM
Looks very fuzzy?

Ken

ubergeek85
05-01-2011, 12:30 PM
No discovery?!

wainuitech
05-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Looks very fuzzy?

Ken Its not to bad when actually viewing it.

Normal Window size is fine, but like most streaming media, when you blow it up to full screen it does go a bit fuzzy - of course thats on a PC - have not tried it on the actual TV which has a Computer (media Center) connected.

Also I have noticed the Pictures attached are more fuzzy than the actual screen shots. Normally I would post on imageF1, which produce better quality Pic's -- but its broken :crying

No discovery?! Cant see it -- It may come later ?

porkster
07-01-2011, 05:22 AM
So far it's;
Slow to load
Doesn't work with Fire Fox
Grainy
Jerky

I hope they improve it. Otherwise its useless to me.

Barnabas
20-01-2011, 11:41 AM
tried it.....iFail I think it should be called.

20-01-2011, 12:58 PM
http://www.isky.co.nz/

http://www.isky.co.nz/product/32120.aspx

Are they kidding %##!@*#@
$3 to watch a single TV episode (Sky subscribers only)
I can rent a whole new release movie for $5 at Video store

Just what are we actually paying for with our sky sub's then....

Watch out for the ISP's dropping the unmetered Isky bandwidth as their customers realise their Broadband
is just far to slow & unreliable for this to actually work & complaints flood in

goodiesguy
20-01-2011, 03:10 PM
I thought it was free to all sky subscribers.

Miami Steve
20-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Its not to bad when actually viewing it.

Normal Window size is fine, but like most streaming media, when you blow it up to full screen it does go a bit fuzzy - of course thats on a PC - have not tried it on the actual TV which has a Computer (media Center) connected.

Genuine question here (but not specifically for you wainuitech) - why can't you just watch it on the TV? Using the Sky decoder? What benefit is there to getting the same content via the internet, especially if you're going to output it to a TV anyway? :illogical

Agent_24
20-01-2011, 04:57 PM
The benefit is that Sky get to charge you more money.

Safari
20-01-2011, 05:01 PM
The benefit is that Sky get to charge you more money.

It is only some movies and TV programs that are charged.
Most is free to sky subscribers

wainuitech
20-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Genuine question here (but not specifically for you wainuitech) - why can't you just watch it on the TV? Using the Sky decoder? What benefit is there to getting the same content via the internet, especially if you're going to output it to a TV anyway? :illogical Thats actually what I feel as well.

We have mysky, and record what ever we want - If theres a movie we want to watch, we pay for it (assuming its a paid one) and watch it.

Personally I doubt very much I'd actually watch isky on the PC, unless its to watch an episode that I missed on normal TV.
I'm with Telstra, Sky's Pay TV competition, I cant really see them offering free viewing on the data cap.

Yes for anyone thinking Huh !! Mysky on telstra -- We have both Sky and Telstra decoders /TV, two TV's two Lounges. SWMBO likes some programs that are not on sky, But are on Telstra. I can watch one program while she watch's another, bit like multi room.

This thread was only created to advise that its available, as some people are chained to their PC's and cant get away ;) -there is a real world, much to some peoples surprise :D :lol:

decibel
20-01-2011, 07:55 PM
They'll be changing the name once Apple find out.

davidmmac
21-01-2011, 01:44 PM
I think its great - now I can sit outside and watch TV instead of being constrained to the couch.

Only thing that annoys me is that you have to have multiroom to watch Sky Sport live :groan:

Peter H
21-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Since when? I can watch live sport with just a single decoder.

Phil B
21-01-2011, 02:13 PM
I hope they get the full selection of content. I've just looked at it & it appears to be lacking in every channel. Basically there's nothing I'd want to watch. Take the documentary channel. Who the hell wants to watch americas dumbest or brit cops & that's only one channel. On all the channels I looked at they've left out the good stuff & filled it with crap. Maybe that's how they're going to keep the data usage down

davidmmac
21-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Since when? I can watch live sport with just a single decoder.

Hmm, thats strange, whenever I try to watch the tennis it just gives me this message: http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Untitled1295576245.png

Edit: just a note on the video quality, when watching Sky News it's fine, but when I try to watch a tv show its fine for 2 or 3 seconds then jumps forward. Not sure if its a problem with my connection or not.

Zippity
21-01-2011, 02:51 PM
It sure sucks that as a Sky Sport subscriber I cannot watch live sport on iSky because I do not have multiroom :( :(

gary67
21-01-2011, 03:10 PM
How many rooms count as multiroom, my house has several rooms but no sky TV so was just wondering how many more rooms I need before I can get iSKY :lol::devil

Agent_24
21-01-2011, 03:55 PM
From these comments I'm glad I don't pay for Sky

lakewoodlady
29-01-2011, 04:34 PM
I spoke to someone at Sky yesterday and they assured me on several points.

Facts:

1. You do not have to have multiroom to view isky.

2. It is still in BETA.

3. On Tuesday 1st Feb they will be promoting isky more agressively.

4. You will only be able to watch for free, the channels that you currently subscribe to.

5. Certain ISPs have an agreement with Sky, in that no data will be charged against your data cap.

I have tried out a couple of the channels that are available and it seems fine to me. In fact when it comes fully on stream I will be able to watch tv on my computer if son wants to be on the PS3. We have only one tv in the house.

Cheers LL

lakewoodlady
09-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Since about a month ago, I haven't been able to watch either of the live tv channels but when it was in beta I could.
I keep getting the message "The selected item is not currently available". I have been in touch with isky support and after a few questions and tests from them they came to the conclusion that my Open DNS is the problem.
When I did a ping test to isky's IP addy it went straight to the Open DNS Server in California, instead of to isky whose IP starts with 60.xxx.xxx.xxx. So it proves that Open DNS is the culprit because they run a proxy.

Has anyone on here who has tried isky and has Open DNS?
I have asked Open DNS to please sort it for me, but who knows if they will or not?
Does anyone have any clues to get around it?

LL :groan:

Barnabas
09-03-2011, 03:33 PM
a simple hosts file entry should get round it easily enough.

lakewoodlady
09-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Ah, I have no idea how to do this. Are you able to enlarge on that?

LL

Barnabas
09-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Hosts file is where windows looks up first before trying to use dns. It lives here C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Simply edit it with notepad and add a line with skys ip address first, tab, then their url. Note that sky might have multiple IP Addresses, Im not sure.

Save it when you're done but makesure you dont save it as hosts.txt, it needs to be just hosts like it was before you edit it.

Its pretty safe to edit this file but if you want just make a copy of it before you start editing it and save it on your desktop or something. That way you can always put it back. :-)

lakewoodlady
09-03-2011, 04:03 PM
There is no file called Hosts in the etc folder. these are what it does have though:
hosts.MSN
Imhosts
networks
protocol
services

I am using VISTA, if that makes any difference?

LL

Barnabas
09-03-2011, 06:37 PM
There is no file called Hosts in the etc folder. these are what it does have though:
hosts.MSN
Imhosts
networks
protocol
services

I am using VISTA, if that makes any difference?

LL

that doesnt look right. If you open the hosts.msn file with notepad what is in it...anything?

lakewoodlady
09-03-2011, 08:01 PM
This might be the one.

# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

So what should I enter into it and where exactly ?

LL

Barnabas
09-03-2011, 08:57 PM
This might be the one.

#
#
# space.
#
#
# For example:
#

127.0.0.1 localhost

So what should I enter into it and where exactly ?

LL

you need to ping the isky address again and make a note of the ip address. Then add it to the host file in the same format as above i.e under the last line add

60.x.x.x isky.co.nz

then save it (note Im not sure if isky.co.nz is the url so change it to whatever the correct one is).

Basically all this is doing is telling the computer that whenever the url is typed into a browser, go to the corresponding ip address and do not ask a dns server for an address.

Once you have saved it get rid of the .msn extension. It should simply be named hosts with no extension.

Let me know how you get on.

lakewoodlady
09-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Is this correct? Not sure if I have done it right. It still doesn't work. I may have to double check on the IP address with isky support.

#
#
# space.
#
#
# For example:
#

127.0.0.1 localhost

# 60.234.60.202 isky.co.nz

ubergeek85
09-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Take the leading hash off - that marks the line as a comment, so windows ignores it.

lakewoodlady
09-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Oops, ok, will try that.

LL

lakewoodlady
09-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Nope that didn't work, so I will have another think about whether to dump Open DNS. They did say that as they don't have a DATA Center Server in our (Australia, NZ) area it would be difficult and bandwidth hogging to set up.

Still, I will try the isky support again tomorrow.

Many thanks Barnabas and ubergeek for helping.

Cheers LL

Barnabas
10-03-2011, 07:42 AM
ok, no worries LL.

Incidently I have tried pinging isky.co.nz from 3 different networks with different dns servers and they all resolved to 122.56.2.101

Are you sure that skys address they gave you is correct? All I can see is that the 60. address belongs to Orcon so I guess it could be right, seems a bit strange to me though.

B.

ubergeek85
10-03-2011, 07:17 PM
I do know that iSky used to use omp.isky.co.nz for the actual streaming stuff, now that just redirects to www.isky.co.nz

lakewoodlady
11-03-2011, 08:43 AM
I have been onto Open DNS about it and they cannot resolve the problem as yet, so I have stopped using them and have reverted back to my normal DNS settings.
Eveything is fine exept that now I cannot open isky streaming at all! I've submitted a question to them about it, so will wait and see what they say. Might be just a temp glitch. :lol:

LL

wratterus
11-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm going to try and set it up tonight and see what happens. Damn pain Telecom isn't onboard with the free bandwidth thing though.

lakewoodlady
11-03-2011, 10:22 AM
The problem has now been resolved and I can once again get isky on both Firefox and IE8.

@ wratterus, isky is a bit of a pain to set up, you have to have your sky account login linked to your isky when you set up the account. Fortunately for me Slingshot is partnered to isky.
Good luck and let us know how you get on!

LL

wratterus
11-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Well the setup was all easy enough. Same problem though, the message about needing multiroom to view the sports channels is happening for me too.

And the only live channels I can actually watch are CNN and Sky news, but it seems to kind of work. Guess they'll keep improving it.

Works better in IE than FF.

lakewoodlady
11-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Yes, hopefully they will add more channels when they get the broadcasting rights sorted.

LL