PDA

View Full Version : Review: Brother MFC-J265W wireless printer

Strommer
03-01-2011, 10:19 AM
On another PF1 thread, I read that PF1er 'Gamejunkie' set up a wireless printer, a Brother MFC-J265W, with good results. Dick Smith has this printer for $149, but I saw that Bond and Bond had a better price - only $99 after a $20 rebate - so I bought it.

I have used this printer for several days now and give it a 5 out of 5 rating.
The wireless was easy to set up, using Win7; the 'wizard' was simple to follow.

Print quality is sharp and clear, even at the most economical setting, and it prints pages fast. In the past I have been disappointed with a Canon printer and two Epsons, and am very pleased with the Brother MFC-J265W.

We do not send many faxes these days, but instead of dragging out the old fax machine I can now use this printer if necessary.

I know that 'Gamejunkie' will add to this thread, so I will keep it short for now. You can find specs and user opinions here:
http://www.dphotojournal.com/brother-mfc-j265w-review/

PENTIUM
03-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Wait until you have to buy replenishments!

GameJunkie
03-01-2011, 11:50 AM
i will add further to this review of sorts in more detail later, but i will say if you brought it before the 2nd of january you could also claim back the gst component aswell, so it will end up costing us only $82 which is a steal for the functionality you get from it

we've been impressed with the quality of the scan/copy and print from this brother unit.

setup couldn't have been easier.

since getting the printer, we have scanned, copied and printed quite reguarly and no issues are to be had.

as Strommer pointed out, we ourselves dont use the fax that often but it is nice to have the option to do so if the need arises.

as for ink replacements, i believ they are about $35 or so which is not bad.

we will use the printer sparingly and not print colour unless necessary so wont have to replace ink cartridges that often.

edit: thats my review of sorts :D

cheers

GJ

Strommer
03-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Wait until you have to buy replenishments!

This company (http://www.ezyink.co.nz)will soon have the cartridges. Good results and much cheaper; have been using them for the last year with two business printers.

Like Gamejunkie, I don't use colour much and usually print on the economical mode.

GameJunkie
03-01-2011, 07:00 PM
This company (http://www.ezyink.co.nz)will soon have the cartridges. Good results and much cheaper; have been using them for the last year with two business printers.

Like Gamejunkie, I don't use colour much and usually print on the economical mode.

when they do have the cartridges in can you let me know?

Strommer
03-01-2011, 09:57 PM

Will do.

There are probably other companies (such as Cartridge World (http://www.cartridgeworld.co.nz/)) that will refill or supply generic ink cartridges but I can recommend EzyInk - they have a very fast delivery service and great quality.

GameJunkie
03-01-2011, 10:02 PM
cheers

can they(cartrdige world) refill the cartridges that came with the printer or do you have to buy new ones, then refill from then on?

had a look at the ezyink site, prices look very good

Strommer
03-01-2011, 10:28 PM
cheers

can they(cartrdige world) refill the cartridges that came with the printer or do you have to buy new ones, then refill from then on?

had a look at the ezyink site, prices look very good

Not sure about Cartridge World as I have never used them. I guess the cartridges that come with a new printer could be special ones - if they are open tomorrow and if I remember, I will ring them and ask.

Yeah EzyInk prices are very good. The reason I have not used Cartridge World is that I can place an order with EzyInk in the afternoon and have it delivered by 10 AM the next morning. With Cartridge World I would have to drive to the store, leave the cartridge and return later.

BTW I just printed the Brother $20 and GST rebate coupons.
It is impressive how quick and quiet the printer works.
No more USB stick transfer from SWMBO's laptop to my desktop for printing... sweet.

GameJunkie
03-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Not sure about Cartridge World as I have never used them. I guess the cartridges that come with a new printer could be special ones - if they are open tomorrow and if I remember, I will ring them and ask.

Yeah EzyInk prices are very good. The reason I have not used Cartridge World is that I can place an order with EzyInk in the afternoon and have it delivered by 10 AM the next morning. With Cartridge World I would have to drive to the store, leave the cartridge and return later.

BTW I just printed the Brother $20 and GST rebate coupons.
It is impressive how quick and quiet the printer works.
No more USB stick transfer from SWMBO's laptop to my desktop for printing... sweet.

that's the first thing we did after i set it up :D

about the cartridges; cheers

linw
11-01-2011, 10:52 PM
I am looking for a printer like this (MFC w/fax) for a client. This looks good, especially at the price. Any regrets now after a few more days?

FAB
12-01-2011, 09:36 AM
We have about 8 of these same units now, being used for remote managers. Main issue I have had is with setting up security for WLAN - a bit messy, and can be easy for one and not the next. Brother software has never been the best, IMO.
Still for the price - and wireless - not a bad printer.

Strommer
12-01-2011, 10:18 AM
I am looking for a printer like this (MFC w/fax) for a client. This looks good, especially at the price. Any regrets now after a few more days?

No regrets at all. We are still very happy with this printer.

I discovered that it can scan a document or photo, then send the JPEG (or other type of file) wireless to our laptop.

linw
12-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks, guys, much appreciated. Client probably will be using USB but wireless is great to have in case circumstances change. DSE bundle a PT90 labeller with them for $139. Pretty good if you have a use for the labeller!

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2011, 08:52 PM
The Canon MX350 (http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4d2d57f604210dde273fc0a87f3b068e/Product/View/XP6350) doesnt look too bad either. Fax / ethernet and wireless. And 2 instead of 4 carts

linw
12-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Agree, Speedy, that does look good as well. Must admit I have a leaning towards Canon having used their printers for years. Good to have wired and wifi choice.

Crazy prices for a MFC with these capabilities.

Thanks for headsup.

Edit- Just noticed huge speed difference. Has to be considered.

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Yup I had a brother (well still do) but no longer use it. Got a canon MP492 instead (since it uses 2 carts), and its great for photos. Printed 8 pics of the wedding out on A4 glossy for the sis in Oz.. Man it looked clear...Then laminated them

SolMiester
13-01-2011, 02:04 PM
On another PF1 thread, I read that PF1er 'Gamejunkie' set up a wireless printer, a Brother MFC-J265W, with good results. Dick Smith has this printer for $149, but I saw that Bond and Bond had a better price - only $99 after a $20 rebate - so I bought it.

I have used this printer for several days now and give it a 5 out of 5 rating.
The wireless was easy to set up, using Win7; the 'wizard' was simple to follow.

Print quality is sharp and clear, even at the most economical setting, and it prints pages fast. In the past I have been disappointed with a Canon printer and two Epsons, and am very pleased with the Brother MFC-J265W.

We do not send many faxes these days, but instead of dragging out the old fax machine I can now use this printer if necessary.

I know that 'Gamejunkie' will add to this thread, so I will keep it short for now. You can find specs and user opinions here:
http://www.dphotojournal.com/brother-mfc-j265w-review/

Can you please confirm how you have this setup? Wireless printer > pc\laptop, or to a router?.....

Strommer
13-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Can you please confirm how you have this setup? Wireless printer > pc\laptop, or to a router?.....

Not sure what you mean...
The printer is wireless. The laptop is wireless. They can be anywhere in the house, separated. As long as you have a modem/router that is wireless, the printer will connect. With Win7 the set up was easy and quick - anyone could do it (well, maybe not :groan: SWMBO, but anyone who does not have a blinding fear of technology that causes them to blank out).

The good thing with a wireless printer is that you can place them in another room, in a cabinet, on top of a shelf, or wherever - as long as the wireless signal gets to it.

Strommer
22-01-2011, 03:17 PM

Pack of 3 black ink cartridges for $24.45+GST:
http://www.ezyink.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=4227

The range of black and colour cartridges, from $11.25+GST:
http://www.ezyink.co.nz/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=mfc-j265w&x=2&y=6