PDA

View Full Version : Farmside Satelite Internet and Skype

mark1978
02-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Since we moved rural we decided to get a more expensive internet connection since there is no exchange in this area, our end decision and provider we went with is Farmside, with an IPSTAR modem and Satellite dish, it has been doing its job for over a month now.. :o
2 things we are not satisfied with is that when we Skype with overseas family, it is really slow and were really disappointed in that. We have been Googling alternative programs or programs that are specialized with Satellite connections but have not seen anything, maybe you have???
The second thing were disappointed in is that it cuts out the connection sometimes for 5 to 10 min and then resumes. I have reported this but the customer service lady said "they would keep an eye on it" :annoyed: I have asked her to maybe "tweak" the modem... but no reply from her (we don't even know how to get in there an don't want to in case we mess it up!)
Moving back to the city with better broadband connection? Nah, don't think so but maybe there are people on here with the same problems/irritations and have found solutions for these. :banana

Agent_24
02-01-2011, 10:57 PM
This is why I don't use wireless if I can help it, too unreliable. Unless you can get some kind of wired connection you'll probably just have to put up with it.

Although, it probably shouldn't have problems every 5 minutes either...

As for the Skype issue, either just packet loss due to wireless, or your connection is just really slow..

zqwerty
03-01-2011, 12:21 AM
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/speedtests/a/network_latency.htm

pctek
03-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Unless you can get some kind of wired connection you'll probably just have to put up with it.

Wireless? Where does he say that? Or are you referring to the satellite as wireless?

Yes Ipstar does have a huge lag. 1000ms at least.
You can't do anything about that at all.
However I used to see loads of people who signed up to it and picked the lamest plan there is:

lite

* 512Kbps download
* 256Kbps upload
* 500MB data cap
* Just $59.00* + GST monthly

regular

* 1Mbps download
* 256Kbps upload
* 1GB data cap
* Just 89.00* + GST monthly

plus

* 2Mbps download
* 512Kbps upload
* 2GB data cap
* Just $109.00* + GST monthly

Yes it is not cheap - but look at the speed of each plan. 512K?? It's slow.

mark1978
03-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Hi PCTEK, thanks for the post! Do you think that if we bump up the plan the connectivity will be better?? Were paying $159 a month now on a bundle.. (Yeah I know!)
Our plan is unleashed speeds, up and download.... :-(

Just did a speedtest, 3.70mbps download 0.85mbps Ping 741

paulw
03-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Are you using Skye video or audio only??

mark1978
03-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Hi Paul, both video and audio. Overseas family don't only want to hear you... but then yesterday we skyped with friends in Tauranga both video and audio but even that was stuttery at times!

The Error Guy
03-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Just a quick question, how far away are you from the nearest wired internet coverage area, also how many people are near you (within 1km) who also use/want broadband?

paulw
03-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Hi Paul, both video and audio. Overseas family don't only want to hear you... but then yesterday we skyped with friends in Tauranga both video and audio but even that was stuttery at times!

I think I would tell my friends that it's be audio only at present as video uses about 3.5Mbytes per minute. My niece is using mobile BB in Perth and 50% of the time we have to go to audio only and her bandwidth gets loaded too much..

mark1978
03-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Just a quick question, how far away are you from the nearest wired internet coverage area, also how many people are near you (within 1km) who also use/want broadband?

The only ones who have satellite broadband is a company across the road (bout 300 metres), thats it,.. no one else, as for the nearest exchange, i would probably say 3 km down the road.

Agent_24
03-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Wireless? are you referring to the satellite as wireless?

Yes

The Error Guy
03-01-2011, 11:15 AM
If you built something like this (or bought a commercial version) you could Purchase an internet connection via cable and hook it up to the antennae. Not sure how well the DIY one would perform but the commercial installations are very good.

It would probably be much better than the satellite service and cheaper in the long run. If the neighbors wanted internet you could extend the service to them as well and charge them for use.

I have no experience with long range wireless installing companies so I can't reccomned anyone but I have worked with existing installations. they are pretty reliable.

mark1978
03-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Interesting, I wonder why Skype would be slower on a satellite connection then a wired connection? You think it would be faster..

pctek
03-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Do you think that if we bump up the plan the connectivity will be better??
speedtest, 3.70mbps d
You say there is no exchange there then you said 3Km down the road.
3Km is fine - you need to be within 5km of an exchange.

As you are on the "full Speed" plan alreadym, then no pint in altering it. In fact you can't, that IS the top plan.

It will be lag.
Make sure your PC is malware free - and decluttered. Thats all you can do. 3.7 is pretty good, you shouldn't have an issue with that.

zqwerty
03-01-2011, 04:20 PM
The problem is 'Latency', read the link I posted.

If you watch tv you will see the BBC having the same problems on their Satellite Video links.

mark1978
03-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Sorry the nearest exchange would be 3 km down the road, no connectivity from here though, there might be in the future.. we have tried..
Thanks for all your posts, we have appreciated it!

mikebartnz
03-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Ekiga (http://ekiga.org/) is another VOIP program which seems fairly good but as said the latency is the problem when using video.
Ekiga uses the standard VoIP SIP protocol unlike Skype which uses their own proprietary protocol.

mark1978
03-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Ekiga (http://ekiga.org/) is another VOIP program which seems fairly good but as said the latency is the problem when using video.
Ekiga uses the standard VoIP SIP protocol unlike Skype which uses their own proprietary protocol.

Awesome thanks for that, we will check it out :-)

mikebartnz
03-01-2011, 10:48 PM
You will all need to be using a program that uses the standard VoIP SIP protocol .

The Error Guy
04-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Interesting, I wonder why Skype would be slower on a satellite connection then a wired connection? You think it would be faster..

Skype itself is not the problem (as far as I can see) it is the actual internet connection.

With satellite you connection speed is ok however the time it takes for the data packets to get from you to the other person is the real problem. As previously stated on a sat connection you are generally looking at a 1000ms ( about 1 second) delay from you ---> friend.

With a non sat connection, the connection speed will also be greater in many cases and the time for packets to get from you ---> friend will be reduced to maybe 300ms or 450ms

The wireless option could potentially work or it could be a waste of time and money.

Just wondering, post results from these sites:

www.pingtest.net
www.speedtest.net

If the wired connection used was of poor quality due to many people on the cabinet of distance from the exchange then the wireless may actually be worse.

Also, contributing factors may make the wireless worse than your existing connection, depending on the equipment and terrain the time for the packets to reach you (latency) may increase to around 1000ms anyway.

The main upside of wireless is usually a one off install fee and then the monthly subscription for a plan. This one off fee would be much cheaper than what you pay for satellite.

If you think wireless could be a viable option than enquire into it and see if a professional installer, they may tell you its not possible or will not improve your problem. If it seems like too much then don't worry.

mark1978
04-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks for that Error Guy, I have done the tests and here are the results:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/31418914.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1095705302.png

Agent_24
04-01-2011, 10:05 AM
No surprises there, and that should tell you why Skype is being rubbish.

I don't think you can do anything except to get a different ISP with a different connection type or something.

pctek
04-01-2011, 01:58 PM
http://www.pingtest.net/result/31418914.png

That's actually a really good Ping for Farmside.
I don't know about Skype but I had customers on Farmside with pings of 1000ms + and they could watch TV online OK.

Try the other Skype alternative. I don't trust Skype and it's Supernode **** anyway.