PDA

View Full Version : Webcam resolution for Skype

linw
02-01-2011, 04:03 PM
For Skype usage, is there any point in going higher than vga res? For another $15 you can get an 'HD' version but all I have ever seen on Skype is terrible pixellated crap which I put down to the low ADSL upload speed.

Is this pixellation inevitable or is it that I don't know how to set it up properly?

TIA for your enlightenment.

The Error Guy
02-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Skype will automatically set your resolution based on speed so if your line gets busy and can't support the ammount of bandwith for HD, you're screwed.

try somewhere with "blazing fast" internet (if you can) and see if quality improves. if it doesn't get better than maybe you could try a better webcam.

For nice smooth video get something with a high framerate, that way you won't blur or have choppy video, somthing that will give a good framerate and nice pic quality is the PS3 eye running with the CL Eye drivers from http://codelaboratories.com/downloads/ the PS3 eye is also good for making multi touch tables :p but you don't want that :D

mark1978
02-01-2011, 10:44 PM
I have a 1.3 mega pixel Logitech one, works perfectly, picture is crystal clear :-) Hope this helps

linw
02-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks, guys. Looks like I need to do some testing with another Skype user to get a better idea about pic quality. I thought my bad experiences were because of up bandwidth. Yours sounds good, Mark.

rumpty
03-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks, guys. Looks like I need to do some testing with another Skype user to get a better idea about pic quality. I thought my bad experiences were because of up bandwidth. Yours sounds good, Mark.

Hello linw. I use Skype here with a Logitech camera. As you say, u/l speed is very important.

Would you like to do a test?

Robin S_
23-01-2011, 10:09 PM
I have a 1.3 mega pixel Logitech one, works perfectly, picture is crystal clear :-) Hope this helps

What model please?

TIA

PPp
23-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Mind you, Your webcam won't make any difference to the picture you recieve!!

linw
24-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Mind you, Your webcam won't make any difference to the picture you recieve!!

Very true!! In my case, a 'vaselined' image is to be recommended, anyway!