PDA

View Full Version : Internet fonts?

mzee
02-01-2011, 09:53 AM
I tend to use Ariel for my web pages as I find it easier to read than Times Roman, which is still the default for browsers and editors. This used to be a nuisance, but now using styles it no longer is. I find that Times Roman looks a bit 'scraggly' on a screen. There are a lot of other fonts, but they have to be compatible with Windows & Linux.

What is your preference?

gary67
02-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Ariel all the way I hate with a vengeance TNR

Snorkbox
02-01-2011, 02:24 PM
I prefer Arial myself. For some reason I do not have a Ariel font on my PC.

Morgenmuffel
02-01-2011, 04:09 PM
I prefer Arial myself. For some reason I do not have a Ariel font on my PC.
isn't Ariel a mermaid?

Most news sites tend to use the Arial, helvetica, verdana, sans-serif stack
in varying orders, as they are more readable and newsites tend to pay attention to those things

mzee
02-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Spelling mistake!
Arial is the font.

The Error Guy
02-01-2011, 06:30 PM
TNR should be shot, its gone.

Its a bit square and old looking these days, apparently it was easiest to read, well heck, if you saw some of the other fonts that came on earlier OS's it WAS easier to read, these days with our HD LCD screens and less fonts that look like they were scribbled by a 5 year old Calibri is easy to read and nicer on the eyes and aesthetics of documents.

rumpty
03-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Georgia is a nice to read font, if you want one with serif. Or Verdana, without serif. I seem to remember these two were designed for being good to look at on a screen.

Rod J
04-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Georgia is a nice to read font, if you want one with serif. Or Verdana, without serif. I seem to remember these two were designed for being good to look at on a screen.

Georgia is my favourite serif font. Arial and Verdana my favourite sans serif. But I find here in Ubuntu Linux that the FreeSans font looks better than either Arial or Verdana in small sizes. Likewise FreeSerif than Times New Roman.

My default font in OpenOffice Writer is Trebuchet MS.

pcuser42
04-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Calibri :devil

mzee
06-01-2011, 01:46 PM
I have another problem with fonts. IE8 tends to make fonts larger than FireFox. Sometimes you have to compromise, eg: 11pt instead of 10pt or 12pt. Chrome tends to make fonts smaller.
Some respond more to font size="3" than font-size: 12pt, and vici versa. Generally, styles seem to be more compatible.