PDA

View Full Version : Australia Flooded?

SurferJoe46
01-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Saw the tail end of a news blurb on TV here about parts of Australia seriously under a lot of water.

Isn't it Summer there and isn't that the dry season?

The US had over 20 tornadoes today and quite a few deaths and lost a few small towns too - the WHOLE town in some cases.

We are in a monster cold-snap here in SoCal.

The Rose Parade will be lower than 50F/10C and that's problematic since there's no heaters allowed on the parade route this year.

Right now it's 19F/-8C here and it was colder than that this morning. The high today was 34F/1.1C. But it's 78F/26C in the house with a roaring fire in the wood stove!

Yummy with hot Dr Pepper and a cinnamon stick stick swirled in it.

pctek
01-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Queensland is wet. It is the wet part of Aussie, although not usually this wet.

Other parts are about to be on fire again as usual in summer.

The Error Guy
01-01-2011, 06:03 PM

Vbulletin needs a like button :D

prefect
01-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Hope they learn from it and make stop banks higher and make some dams and save the water for later.

Digby
02-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Yes a like button would be good !

Yes Aussies needs to be able to tip Queensland up to the right, so that the water all flows back into the centre of the country.

Or they need to start building some aqaducts like the Romans did, or some major canals like the Chinese are.

And yes SurferJoe

I always feel sorry for the USA mid-west when they get all of those tornados EVERY year.

SurferJoe46
02-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Yes a like button would be good !

Yes Aussies needs to be able to tip Queensland up to the right, so that the water all flows back into the centre of the country.

Or they need to start building some aqaducts like the Romans did, or some major canals like the Chinese are.

And yes SurferJoe

I always feel sorry for the USA mid-west when they get all of those tornadoes EVERY year.

These tornadoes are rare - it's the wrong season for them - this is Winter and they usually appear in Spring.

The cold front that's hitting the Mexican up-current is the same cold front that came through here last week and gave us so much rain. This has been the wettest December in recent history.

Right now we are in a cold snap that too, is very abnormal.

My wife left a 30 octothorpe bag of ice on the porch by accident after she went shopping and it's still frozen two days later.

--Wolf--
02-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Why is 3/4 of your post about America when the title says Australia?

SurferJoe46
02-01-2011, 03:24 PM
I asked about Australia and obviously there isn't as much of a flood as the US news has said exists ther.

Just filling space then .

FoxyMX
02-01-2011, 03:32 PM
I asked about Australia and obviously there isn't as much of a flood as the US news has said exists ther.

It has only affected 200,000 people, isolated or inundated 22 cities or towns and the water just covers an area bigger than France and Germany combined, so no, it's not much of a flood at all. :rolleyes:

A lot of people will be spending weeks in community shelters waiting for flood waters to recede as their homes are under water.

Meanwhile, we are still rocking and rolling with the earthquakes here in Christchurch, New Zealand, with more buildings and homes damaged with the Boxing Day shocks.

SurferJoe46
02-01-2011, 04:01 PM
I asked and got this:

Queensland is wet. It is the wet part of Aussie, although not usually this wet.

...and that doesn't sound too bad to me. It's normally wet there, although not this wet doesn't imply vast flooding and deaths and lost homes to me.

FoxyMX
02-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Yes, you got those replies probably because you asked about something happening in Australia.

--Wolf--
02-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I asked and got this:

...and that doesn't sound too bad to me. It's normally wet there, although not this wet doesn't imply vast flooding and deaths and lost homes to me.

Even though that's what is actually happening? Or at least the lost homes part.

Ignorance maybe?

KenESmith
02-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Dams are all full and overflowing, rivers running 9 metres above normal, two cities being evacuated each just a bit smaller than Hamilton, and 200,000 have been evacuated from their homes.

Because the area is relatively flat, dams to contain floodwaters are not a particularly practical solution. A major problem is that alot of the victims are uninsured, not because they are short sighted about Insurance, but because the Insurance companies will not cover flood risk, being profit motivated businesses, rather than soft hearted charities.
The damage to crops will set many farmers back for years, and following several years of drought, could be the last straw for many.
Damage to infra structure is being talked about in $Billions, with roads, bridges etc seriously damaged or destroyed, and thefloods are going to translate into higher costs for food and produce.

As the inland floods move downstream, they will cross over into New South Wales causing flooding to many communities downstream, the only upside is that it will in several months put a lot of water into the Murray River system, and will revitalise that area.

Fortunately, Australia is a wealthy country and can fight its way out of this disaster and restore the affected rural communities, but it is an event that will impact on the economy for at least 2 years. The upside of this is that it will rob the Gillard Government of the extra funds to pork barrel to try and stay in power.

Metla
02-01-2011, 06:36 PM
It has only affected 200,000 people,.

It has only affected 200,00 Aussies :lol:

KenESmith
02-01-2011, 06:49 PM
It has only so far directly affected 200,000 Aussies in so much as they have had their homes ravaged by floodwaters. Many will be financially wiped out.

It has affected all of us because it will have a major impact on the cost of food for many months to come, and it will adversely affect both state and national economies for up to 2 years.

Metla
02-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Thats what you get for being a Skippy.

I would imagine must of "us" are more concerned with the food prices in our own country.

Battleneter2
02-01-2011, 07:20 PM
It has only so far directly affected 200,000 Aussies in so much as they have had their homes ravaged by floodwaters. Many will be financially wiped out.

It has affected all of us because it will have a major impact on the cost of food for many months to come, and it will adversely affect both state and national economies for up to 2 years.

I feel very sorry for the people directly effected, must be hard loosing dam near everything and not being able to return home. Could take years for people to get back to some normality.

Financially as a nation I don't think the floods are overly significant. NZ will recover from the $3.5Bn earthquake with ongoing productivity costs.

Australia with a 7X bigger economy should have no problem brushing off a probable less costly event. If you want to worry about something, worry about the coming Aussie housing bubble burst, that's going to make this seem like a small parking ticket lol

SurferJoe46
02-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Now the truth comes out. I see now that the devastation on US TV is fairly accurate.

Even though that's what is actually happening? Or at least the lost homes part.

Ignorance maybe?

Yes - totally ignorant and that's why I asked.

I saw some pixs of just the peaks of roofs showing and then I got a ho-hum answer that didn't seem to be so bad.

Sorry I didn't read betwixt the lines - but I just saw in a return to my OP that it apparently wasn't such a big deal and was just a seasonal deluge --- plus a little more.

Then fires were mentioned so what was I supposed to assume?

--Wolf--
02-01-2011, 09:53 PM
That Aussie has some pretty bad luck

SurferJoe46
03-01-2011, 05:24 AM
I'll be gone for a few hours today and I promise to take a closer look into the OTHER Upsidedown Land.

Sounds bad, though.

pctek
03-01-2011, 06:59 AM
I asked and got this:

It's normally wet there, although not this wet

Come on, you can see the news same as we can.
It's an understatement. Yes it's a flood.

My point is that Queensland is the wettest part of Australia, you don't tend to see flooding happening in the middle of the country so much.

WalOne
03-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Come on, you can see the news same as we can.

Not really. As far as most news reporting goes in the US, the world outside the continental US doesn't exist. Plus the laconic way Aussies and Kiwis treat fires, floods, and earthquakes just isn't newsworthy, and barely merits a mention.

On the other hand, if our natural disasters were staged with wall to wall sirens, carefully scripted and rehearsed human interest stories, then we may just get a look in. May be, Sir Peter should be recruited to look after our breaking news ...