PDA

View Full Version : Network password on W2K/W98 net

22-09-2001, 10:19 PM
Hi

I run a small network with three W2K boxes and one Win98.

The network runs fine except for one small snag. I can log onto the Win98 box from W2K but when I try the reverse I get a Win98 password request and none of the administrator or user passwords seem to work. Fortunately most of the traffic is going to the Win98 box so it isn't a big problem but is there a default password that Win98 is looking for, or how do I set a new password in Win98? When logging on from W2K to any other box the password is the normal logon for the initiating machine.

I have tried the only logon and password that have been created for the Win98 box which is the Client for Microsoft Networks logon & PW but neither of these work.

I'm a bit baffled!

Thanks

Jack

24-09-2001, 04:19 PM
Hmmmmmmmm!

No answers posted yet so this must be a curly one! Never mind, I think I might have found the answer myself so here it is for any other poor souls caught between the rinse and spin cycles.

To give a Win98 box access to a W2K box (at least on a simple peer to peer network), it appears that you have to set up guest accounts on each of the W2K computers.

On the Win 2000 computer, right click my computer then manage/local users/users. Right click guest in the right pane (should have a red circle/whte cross showing) go to properties & uncheck last entry 'account is disabled'.

The Win98 computer will then logon using the W2k computer's logon password.

I might not have it all quite right yet but this gave me access to shared folders. The one logon seemed to give access to all the W2K computers but if the network was shut down you have to logon again and it seems that it doesn't matter which computer you use to logon so long as you use its own password. Might take a while to iron out the bugs so if anybody knows more details I'd be pleased to hear them.

Jack