PDA

View Full Version : OE Question

Poppa John
30-12-2010, 10:11 AM
HI All.

In OE Message Rules I want to auto delete specific names. AOL, Lloyds Bank, Halifax Bank. Orcon Support tell me that the "Bank" ones are phishing attempts whilst AOL is spam.

Can somebody explain how I do this Please.In detail. Nothing in the drop down list fits the addresses. TIA PJ

PinoyKiw
30-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Open Outlook Express > highlight the message you want to auto delete > Toolbar > Create Rule From Message >

That will bring up a menu box of options.

You now need to tick what you think are the right boxes.

Usually you would tick, Where the From Line but of course scammers will not always use the same from address so you might have to look at other tick options in that first section.

You could enter a wild card option by ticking the From box, then go to the third section down, single click on the address displayed and that will bring up a additional box, you can type into that a wild card such as *@anz.co.nz so that the scammers can send you mail from manager@anz or they can send you from joeblogs@anz but OE will delete all mail from ANZ regardless of the name in front of the @.

In the next section down, you have options such as Delete, Delete from Server, Move to, etc.

Tick Delete, OE will delete the mail as it comes into your mail program. Or you can Delete from Server.

Hope that helps.

PinoyKiw
30-12-2010, 10:33 AM
And while you have those option boxes open as per the previous message, third section down where I said you could add wild card options, while you still have that box open you can add in additional wild card addresses by simply entering @bnz.co.nz, @hangsengbank......., @swisslotto.com, etc rather than creating a new delete rule for every scammers domain name.

Bit harder when they email you as hangsengbank@yahoo as you probably have email friends that have a yahoo address as well.

In that case you cannot simply auto delete as you would be deleting mail from friends as well.

Safari
30-12-2010, 10:36 AM
You want to be very careful with adding message rules or you might end up deleting a valid email.
What is the problem with just deleting them as they come in. I get several scam and phishing emails every day and it is not a big issue to just delete them.

Poppa John
30-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Open Outlook Express > highlight the message you want to auto delete > Toolbar > Create Rule From Message >

That will bring up a menu box of options.

You now need to tick what you think are the right boxes.

Usually you would tick, Where the From Line but of course scammers will not always use the same from address so you might have to look at other tick options in that first section.

You could enter a wild card option by ticking the From box, then go to the third section down, single click on the address displayed and that will bring up a additional box, you can type into that a wild card such as *@anz.co.nz so that the scammers can send you mail from manager@anz or they can send you from joeblogs@anz but OE will delete all mail from ANZ regardless of the name in front of the @.

In the next section down, you have options such as Delete, Delete from Server, Move to, etc.

Tick Delete, OE will delete the mail as it comes into your mail program. Or you can Delete from Server.

Hope that helps.

Have done that. Thanks. Will wait now & see what happens. Other advice noted. Mainly the problem is from Lloyds TSB & Halifax bank, for the phishing & aol& hotmail for spam. We get no mail from aol so that is "Gone" Hotmail I have to leave "Alive". PJ