PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a computer

BrotherDragon
30-12-2010, 06:29 AM
Hi folks,

I'm having to move back to the USA to take care of my father. I want to ship my tower over there with about a two week delivery. Who does this and what should I know?

Cheers

__________________________________________________ _
I'm trying to think but nothin' happens...Jerome 'Curly' Howard

somebody
30-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Most major courier and postal services will do it.

NZ Post will do it: http://www.nzpost.co.nz/sending-internationally/parcels

NZ Couriers will do it: http://www.nzcouriers.co.nz/html/international_send.html

Whatever you do, make sure your computer is packed securely so it can survive rough handling by the freight companies. If you have the original box then that would be best.

Erayd
30-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Fedex :thumbs:. It'll cost you though.

:pf1mobmini:

PCT Joe
30-12-2010, 11:32 AM
DONT FORGET TO CHANGE OVER THE PSU IF THEY DONT USE 230!!!

PENTIUM
30-12-2010, 01:03 PM
It might be cheaper as excess baggage.

PinoyKiw
30-12-2010, 01:51 PM
If it is just the tower you are lugging, check out the cost plus insurance to freight it verse the cost of excess weight with your airline.

If you go the excess weight option with your airline, maybe use one of those wheelie luggage cases, the one you take on the plane might be too small, to might have to go up a size, a tower would probably comfortably fit in one of those and pack well with foam etc.

Last time I looked into excess cost was about 10% of the ticket per kilo.

Travelling to the USA though, I think you are allowed a total of 32kg verse the usual 20 and 23kg on other routes. You would need to check with the airline.

Or packed well in the box that the case first came in.

Regardless of how you send it, doesn't mean it will arrive in working condition.

Have you ever watched airport staff handle luggage and freight, some of them just heave / drop your stuff.

Zippity
30-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Why not just remove the hard drive/s and take them over as hand luggage or wrapped up well in your suitcase?

PinoyKiw
30-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Why not just remove the hard drive/s and take them over as hand luggage or wrapped up well in your suitcase?

Which would probably be a even safer way of doing it. Anything that doesn't like to be jolted about such as the hard drives, carry through as hand carry and ship the actual case with whats left.

feersumendjinn
31-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Don't forget to declare the HDD(s), as they can be prohibited/restricted imports
see: Defense Articles or Items with Military or Proliferation Applications
& Trademarked and Copyrighted Articles

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/prohibited_restricted.xml

Erayd
31-12-2010, 12:54 PM
DONT FORGET TO CHANGE OVER THE PSU IF THEY DONT USE 230!!!This only applies if your PSU has such a switch - most don't these days, and they'll quite happily accept either without requiring any intervention by the user.

Agent_24
31-12-2010, 03:32 PM
If you have a heavy CPU cooler or big graphics card etc I would remove them and pack separately.

In fact dismantling the entire thing might be the best way to go.

I think I would dismantle it, pack everything into boxes, and then put the boxes inside the case, and that in it's own box.