PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Drives win 7

cowboy stu
29-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Why can my netbook access the cd drive on desktop ( via wireless) ok and also see other drives/folders there that are shared but get error message .. cannot access \\name-pc\data.

Presume i am hitting the same buttons to give permissions ??

gary67
29-12-2010, 07:45 PM
So do you mean it can see the folders but not access them? I guess it will be a permissions thing

cowboy stu
29-12-2010, 08:45 PM
correct.. can access cd drive and download files.

Have got into permissions .. think I've fixed it Thanks for hint

Why won't the XP laptop show on network . Has same workgroup name. Has been there before. Not sure what I've changed to lose it !!

gary67
29-12-2010, 09:49 PM
I had that problem with XP when I reinstalled the XP computer it magically returned to my networked Win7 machine, yet it had still been in view on my other XP computers so not sure what was wrong

cowboy stu
29-12-2010, 09:58 PM
nothing consistent here i guess !

linw
30-12-2010, 09:32 AM
I had that problem with XP when I reinstalled the XP computer it magically returned to my networked Win7 machine, yet it had still been in view on my other XP computers so not sure what was wrong

After similar problems I re-started the router and all came right. Bad router tables can't be left out of the mixture. Your re-installation could well caused a new entry in the router thus all came right.

Good theory, anyway! But re-starting the router is quick and painless, even if it is not the problem!

cowboy stu
30-12-2010, 10:41 AM
tis wierd Desktop win 7 (cabled ) can see netbook 7 ( wireless) but not laptopxp
Netbook7 can see desktop7 and laptopxp ( wireless )
Laptopxp can see netbook7 but not dtop7