PDA

View Full Version : Internet Lag

pctek
29-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Posted a while back........

My speed is lovely. Doesn't lose connection but quite often I get the most disgusting lag, latency, timeouts whatever you want to call it.

pages sit there not loading, or load half-assed (no piccy bits) or timeout.
Tried to download a wee game the other day, at various points, not past 20%, it dies with a lost connection type error.

Have spoken to Telecom techs (yes the techs, not just the call centre) about it and they don't know.
They had me doing tracerts and pings and using various dns servers. DNS servers didn't help either..

Have tried another modem, another PC (nasty little HP netbook running XP). Neither made a difference.

No difference in IE or FF.

Today I reinstalled Windows from scratch and of course no difference.
I tried with Windows as is and again after I finished tweaking and configuring.

Very annoying, the only thing Telecom could suggest was moving me to a different port in the cabinet but they aren't hopeful.

Any ideas?

somebody
29-12-2010, 07:42 PM
On pages which sit there partially loaded, are the images coming from a different subdomain (e.g. images.mywebsite.com)?

I've had similar symptoms before which were due to Telstraclear's overloaded DNS servers.

pctek
30-12-2010, 07:08 AM
No.
And I've tried different DNS servers.

pctek
30-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Up Stream 828 (Kbps.) Down Stream 16235 (Kbps.)

Noise Margin 13 dB
Attenuation 3 dB

It's actually increased since they moved me to a new port on the cabinet.

I get pages loading for ages and ages, pages loading with out the graphical bits and I can't download anything.

tried a wee game (Amnesia) recently. No go. They company gave me 3 separate links to try - none go further than 77MB before crapping out.

Tried:
ASUS modem

Netgear Modem

Dynalink modem.

ASUS brand new.

Tried my PC running Win7 and also an HP netbook running XP.

Tried various DNS servers.

It's not my end.

Anyway I rang them again today and they said they'd already changed ports (hmmm, noise, attentuation now higher) and the new theory is I am too close to the cabinet and my modems can't handle it so they want me to use their Thompson modem.

OK, I'll try.

However I seriously doubt modem number 4 will make a difference.

This has been going on since I moved here and Telecom connected me on 8th November.

Doesn't matter what time/day it is, doesn't matter what website either - it's random.

Speed is great, doesn't drop connection either. No noise on the line.

Well speed would be great if I didn't have to wait 10 years for a page to load.........

Any intelligent ideas out there? If the tier 2 techs don't know and that's what tech number 2 said, then I sure don't.

pctek
30-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Bump

Safari
30-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Really weird problem you have there.
After all that you have done I can't see that it can be anything other a problem in Telecom network/exchange.
You could try changing the MTU and MRU in the modem to 1492. Most modems have it set to 1500 by default which usually works fine but I have known where changing it to something lower fixes problems with web sites timing out.