PDA

View Full Version : Memory upgrade

MPG
29-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Hi

I am thinking of upgrading an old machine of mine for another member of the family. First step I thought would be to increase the amount of RAM but I am confused by the large range of options shown on the Ascent site. I am having problems identifying suitable replacements.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8IEXP and the OS is XP SP3. I was hoping to increase the amount of RAM to 2 GB, probably by replacing the current modules (generic?). I have just checked the memory modules with Everest Home Edition. It would appear that I presently have 2 different modules. It reports DIMM1 as containing GC6CD404 - 512MB, unbuffered, DDR SDRAM, PC2700, no error detection. DIMM2 is 512MB, unbuffered, DDR SDRAM, PC2100, no error detection. I guess that means it is non-ECC. The memory timings for both modules @ 166 MHz are 2.5-3-3-7.

I would be pleased if someone could make a recommendation for replacements.

Thanks in anticipation.
Michael

pctek
29-12-2010, 05:36 PM
PC2700 - doesn't really matter what brand oir if they match or not.
PC3200 should be backwards compatible too and easy to get.

linw
29-12-2010, 07:52 PM
What is it going to be doing where you would see a difference between 1GB and 2GB?

Lawrence
30-12-2010, 06:11 AM
What CPU does it have? ,seem it is a 845 board that supports 533/400 chips you could get a 3.0 or a 3.2 if you can find one

http://www.mbreview.com/mbr-reviews/489-gigabyte-ga-8iexp.html

Have a oldish Compaq with the 845 board running a 1.8 celeron and replaced with a 2.8 Northwood chip,fair flies now

MPG
30-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks all!

Now that I have got over my silly mistake concerning DDR and DDR2, I have found some Kingston RAM that looks just the ticket.

Linw - don't know the answer to that question. The puter is not for me but I suspect it will not be over taxed - i.e. no games or videos. However, I note that just about every upgrade article I have ever seen nearly always mentions the RAM as the first upgrade to make. Maybe someone has shares in a chip manufacturer ;). I thought I would simply follow advice and make the upgrade while I was making other modifications.

Lawrence - thanks for the query and comment. The CPU is in fact a P4 2.45. This old puter was fairly state of the art at the time of purchase. Still works OK and should suit another family member's needs.

Thanks again to all!
Michael

linw
30-12-2010, 09:14 AM
MPG, those recommendations for adding extra RAM highly likely apply to machines with 256MB of RAM! XP, for run-of-the-mill software, runs OK with 512MB. 1GB is heaps and will not cause a bottleneck in this system. Let's face it, when XP was born, a gigabyte of RAM was probably not even in mainframes!

The best thing you can do is make sure that unnecessary startups are stopped (usually 10-12 can be found in my experience). MSCONFIG will let you control these startups.

A 2.4GHz cpu with 1GB RAM will run pretty well with a nice clean setup. Money spent on this machine will not give you a worthwhile return. By far the best upgrade is to a dual cpu but don't know whether that mobo will take one.

Cheers and best wishes.

PENTIUM
30-12-2010, 02:09 PM
It might actually be slower with 2GB if you are running XP! You will gain performance by doing a complete wipe clean of the hard-drive data; followed by reinstalling everything that is needed.

inphinity
30-12-2010, 02:11 PM
It might actually be slower with 2GB if you are running XP!

Please elaborate...