PDA

View Full Version : Recieving TV channels to my new TV

xyz823
29-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Just got my new TV and was wondering what the best way to get actual NZ TV to it would be. It is in my room so there's no way I can hook it upto the satellite or anything.

Would I be better off to get some bunny ears or get a USB tuner for my laptop and hook it up via HDMI? Or is there some way to get a USB tuner to work with the TV?

Cheers.

8ftmetalhaed
29-12-2010, 02:10 PM
If you get a good view of the skytower, grab an amplified antenna. If you're able to, run an extra cable from your roof aerial.

Not sure what a dongle's reception would be like so can't say for sure on that one.

davidmmac
29-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Does the TV have a freeview tuner? If so have you thought of buying a long coaxial cable and hooking it up to the nearest coaxial point in the house to get freeview?

I've done that in the past, bought about 20m of cable and tied it up around the curtain rails to get it into the bedroom without annoying the parents too much.

I've found bunny ears to be a bit tempremental, sometimes they find the channels other times they don't. When they work they're great, but moving it around the room just to find TV3 is a pain in the ass.

8ftmetalhaed
29-12-2010, 03:05 PM
I actually have a UHF and a sky aerial here. The uhf aerial will only pick up channel 3's broadcasts, no tvnz broadcasts nor freeview only channels are found. So I just use an indoor amp'ed antenna. Works fine, although the cables look a little messy, you get that anyway.

The Error Guy
29-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Get freeview (somehow)

A good FV box that I just got is the Dish TV T1020, its $200 (from noel leeming) but its action packed.

Has a USB, HDMI Component and standard def outputs, you can even connect it to ethernet to check emails.

I am gonna have a wicked time modding the hell outta the firmware!

You don't want to spend too much at all (like more than $20) on VLF or VHF radio equipment since it is being cut off in the next 8-12 months. you could try buying a UHF aeirial aerial and sticking it out your window when you want to use the TV or something

xyz823
29-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Hmm, I'm in the sleepout so a long cord is quite impractical. I think it does have a freeview tuner built in though.

I think I'll have a look into one of the USB dongles for my laptop and do it that way.

dugimodo
29-12-2010, 04:13 PM
laptop reception will almost definately be worse than a TV's, Computers are a big source of interference and as such tend to need a good signal / aerial to get good reception.

If it does have inbuilt freeview your best bet is just to get a suitable aerial for your area, and indoor amplified UHF aerial may work if you are in a good reception area. If not you probably need an external aerial.

there is no magical way to avoid the fact that to receive TV you need an Aerial :)

gary67
29-12-2010, 04:47 PM
If you get a good view of the skytower, grab an amplified antenna.

Hmm direct view.... Timaru to the Sky tower bit of a long shot but hey with the right telescope it might be possible :thumbs:

feersumendjinn
29-12-2010, 07:24 PM
You may not get digital/terrestrial signal where you are (maybe from Christchurch/Sugarloaf transmitter, though it doesn't say so on this map http://www.lincrad.co.nz/transmittersites.html), but you should get some analogue channels with a decent size outside aerial, or go satellite http://www.freeviewshop.co.nz/satellite-packages-c-24.html