PDA

View Full Version : firefox has intermittent popup ads

williamF
29-12-2010, 07:48 AM
just recently i have noticed firefox seems to be showing some odd popup ads usually from "netbits" they just seem to pop up on odd occasions on seemingly random sites that never showed them before, my adblock add on blocks most of the ads themselves but the window still pops up usually as a blank page because of that, i have run almost every adware scanner i could find (spybot,superantispyware,avast) etc, it removed some nasties but im picking there is still some residual crap lying around as they still crop up
any hints on how to fix or im guessing a fresh dung out of firefox reg entries and reinstall FF

SP8's
29-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Get rid of Avast and download MS Security Essentials + Malwarebytes do a full scan with both. Best to download CCleaner and get rid of all your old temp files first ... then do a reg scan after running MSE & MB

williamF
29-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Get rid of Avast and download MS Security Essentials + Malwarebytes do a full scan with both. Best to download CCleaner and get rid of all your old temp files first ... then do a reg scan after running MSE & MB
whats wrong with avast. it would be better than the Mcafee that came on it
i've full scanned with Malwarebytes got rid of the stuff it found with that
got rid of the crap with CCleaner gonna try with MSE

wainuitech
29-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Avast is better than McAfee, BUT Avast has slipped badly, and going backwards - MSSE is much better.

Just lately, I have seen quite a few PC/Laptops that had avast and either infections killed the AV ( it looks liek its working but isn't), or quite simply it missed then all together.

porkster
29-12-2010, 10:31 PM
My father-in-law had a similar problem, there was some sort of hook in Firefox that would try to pop up ads (stopped by NoScripts). Heck of a think to get rid of...
Final killed it using "fixTDSS.exe" from Symantec.
Give it a go..

williamF
29-12-2010, 11:08 PM
"fixTDSS.exe" from Symantec.
Give it a go..
tried it. nada didnt pick up anything

williamF
30-12-2010, 02:38 AM
i cut my losses and reinstalled firefox, i used Revo uninstaller and completely dunged out firefox and reinstalled it, now to login and/or reset most of my "login sites". so far its fixed for now