PDA

View Full Version : Wireless info required, please.

ianhnz
28-12-2010, 05:19 PM
I have a Telecom Thomson TG585v8 wireless modem.

Been getting concerned that others can access us.

I have changed access key and added additional numbers/letters.

Changed to 64 bit encryption and am using WEP encryption.

Any ideas and how do I know if I am being hacked?

Thanks,

Ian:banana

Agent_24
28-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Look at your DHCP table in the router, then you will know if anyone is connected who shouldn't be.

But why are you using WEP? It has known flaws which are easily exploitable. Use WPA2.

ianhnz
28-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Look at your DHCP table in the router, then you will know if anyone is connected who shouldn't be.
Where do I locate, DHCP? :help:

But why are you using WEP? It has known flaws which are easily exploitable. Use WPA2.
Telecom set it up, for me, over the phone and said to use that. My lappy is over 5 years old, so me be why they said that...:stare:

Agent_24
28-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Maybe. Do you know what wireless card you have?

inphinity
28-12-2010, 08:16 PM
If you can, use at least WPA. WEP is pointless. Some older wireless stuff may not support WPA2, but should be OK with WPA - even my 7 year old iPaq supports it.

ianhnz
29-12-2010, 09:52 AM

DHCP table in the router, then you will know if anyone is connected who shouldn't be. Where do I locate DHCP????

ianhnz
29-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Maybe. Do you know what wireless card you have?

No I don't sorry. But I have tried to change to other protocols but nothing else works. At the moment I'm in too much pain, to think straight:waughh::confused::yuck::groan:, so will come back here later. Sorry guys...:horrifie

Agent_24
29-12-2010, 10:05 AM
DHCP table in the router, then you will know if anyone is connected who shouldn't be. Where do I locate DHCP????

I believe the interface is similar to the ST536v6, load up the web interface and then go to Home Network > Devices

That should give a list of everything connected, what its hostname is, what IP it's using and what interface (ethernet or wifi) it's connected on.

No I don't sorry. But I have tried to change to other protocols but nothing else works. At the moment I'm in too much pain, to think straight:waughh::confused::yuck::groan:, so will come back here later. Sorry guys...:horrifie

http://www.aida64.com/downloads Download that and it will tell you what your hardware is. It's only a 30 day trial but you should only need it for 5 minutes

ianhnz
29-12-2010, 10:20 AM
I believe the interface is similar to the ST536v6, load up the web interface and then go to Home Network > Devices

That should give a list of everything connected, what its hostname is, what IP it's using and what interface (ethernet or wifi) it's connected on.

Thank you. Shows my desktop and laptop with the correct user names..

[url]http://www.aida64.ct .
et's only a 30 day trial but you should only need it for 5 minutes
I check this and l"ll let y know
Sorry, pain....................