PDA

View Full Version : Sony Vaio laptop question, regarding reinstalling Windows

zqia014
27-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Hi all.

Got a very nice F Series VAIO Laptop. Problem is that it comes installed with a whole bunch of bullshit software that I don't want. I have my own Windows 7 disk, is it safe to use this and do a full reinstall? Would the new windows 7 recognize it's a laptop and display the battery life in the task bar etc...

Thanks for any advice.

wainuitech
27-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Windows 7 will install Ok on the laptop, but you will more than likely have to download some of the drivers for its functions.
I have my own Windows 7 disk, Has the OS been installed on any other PC/Laptop ? IF its OEM, then it will be a single user license, and legally you can not install it on the laptop.

What you can do, is use your DVD & the COA thats on the underside of the laptop (as long as its the same Version Eg: Home Premium) , you may have to call MS to manually activate it though if it doesn't do it automatically.

linw
27-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Why not just uninstall the BS software? More certain outcome and better use of W7 licences.

GameJunkie
27-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Why not just uninstall the BS software? More certain outcome and better use of W7 licences.

thats what i've done in the past

like what WT said, if you've already used that disc on another comp and depending on the version on the disc to what is currently on the laptop then you may run into problems.

what you could do is post the list of the installed software
heres what you do

get ccleaner from here http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
install it , then go to the tools tab
the uninstall tab will show what is installed.
clicked save to text file
copy and paste here

Agent_24
28-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Sounds like a job for http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

Note that some of those Sony programs etc will do useful things, like drive the hotkeys and such.

If you want to show battery life in the taskbar, you just need to enable that option in Windows.

gary67
28-12-2010, 08:32 AM
I've just decrapped my new HP mini as I don't have a win7 starter disc to reinstall