PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a mobo please

jareemon
27-12-2010, 10:11 AM
It needs to be sli ready (probably a couple gtx460's).
usb3 and onboard 5.1 audio would be nice but not a must.
Looking at am3 for a quad core or maybe 6 core.
will be powered by corsair hx650.
Good reputable brand.
Also want to use a fast ssd with it, not sure whether they usee pci-e or sata or what...
ddr3 triple channel would be nice but i hear amd doesnt support it?

also, if there are any intel ones you might recommend instead of amd, im all ears :)

wainuitech
27-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Two Questions:

Got a budget ? What if any other components do you already have ? No point in suggesting a board that takes a AMD CPU, if you already have an Intel ?

Both Asus or gigabyte are good brands.

jareemon
27-12-2010, 10:48 AM
at the moment i have an antec three hundred case and a corsair hx650 psu... budget flexible, maybe $250 or more

SolMiester
27-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Not sure how many AMD boards are capable of SLI?, CL have a 6x/ASUS M4A87TD/4GB/USB3 deal going for $599 plu3 $59 reward $, whatever that is...personally, I would go for the i5 $670 deal....

dugimodo
27-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Any particular reason you want AMD ? for gaming intel are the current kings.

One thing to remember when looking at SLI motherboards ( it caught me out ) check the spacing of the PCIe x 16 slots, mine position the cards side by side with no air gap causing heat problems.

wainuitech
27-12-2010, 11:34 AM
You got two choices, either SLI - which is Nvidia, or Crossfirex by AMD/ATI.

jareemon
27-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Not sure how many AMD boards are capable of SLI?, CL have a 6x/ASUS M4A87TD/4GB/USB3 deal going for $599 plu3 $59 reward $, whatever that is...personally, I would go for the i5 $670 deal....
i was looking at the m4a87td. $599/$670? does that include the cpu?

Any particular reason you want AMD ? for gaming intel are the current kings.

One thing to remember when looking at SLI motherboards ( it caught me out ) check the spacing of the PCIe x 16 slots, mine position the cards side by side with no air gap causing heat problems.
just cheaper really, is it worthwhile going for a similar priced intel?
cooling wont be a problem, the antec 300 has space for a graphics card intake cooling fan, top 140mm exhaust, upper rear 120mm exhaust, and will have 2x front 120mm intakes. but i have been a bit weary about spacing anyway, due to the physical thickness of some cards...

You got two choices, either SLI - which is Nvidia, or Crossfirex by AMD/ATI.
yea, but im keen on the gtx460s, i hear theyre pretty good for their price

jareemon
27-12-2010, 07:54 PM
i dont want to go with intel unless it's an i7.

inphinity
27-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Don't go for the M4A87TD if you want to run two graphics cards. It's an awesome board, but the 870 chipset can only manage one x16 slot. The second slot will run in x4 mode if you put both cards in. The 89-chipset version, the M4A89TD doesn't have this restriction, and can run dual x16 mode. However, it is a CrossfireX board, not SLI.

Unfortunately, given AMD play in both the GPU & chipset fields, most AMD platforms side with Crossfire over SLI, unless you go for something like one of MSI's Fuzion range or anone of Asus' Crossfire Extreme (with HYDRA) series, both of which use an additional 3rd party chipset to provide multi-GPU capability.

Alternatively, an M4N98TD would work, as it's an nForce 980 chipset, so of course it supports SLI ;) But, it doesn't have SATA 6G or USB3...

sk69ersnz
28-12-2010, 08:43 AM
If you want to go a bit cheaper there is this

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=12052

It runs my Gigabyte 460's fine,although there isn't a lot of space between them.

SolMiester
28-12-2010, 10:01 PM
i was looking at the m4a87td. $599/$670? does that include the cpu?

just cheaper really, is it worthwhile going for a similar priced intel?
cooling wont be a problem, the antec 300 has space for a graphics card intake cooling fan, top 140mm exhaust, upper rear 120mm exhaust, and will have 2x front 120mm intakes. but i have been a bit weary about spacing anyway, due to the physical thickness of some cards...

yea, but im keen on the gtx460s, i hear theyre pretty good for their price

Yes, the deal included the cpu, ram and mainboard....however as stated, you need to choice the card manufacturer before the CPU\mainboard if doing dual GPU setups., personally, id just get 1 more powerful card, or upgrade as you can afford and require....

i5 i believe is the gaming system sweet spot unless you totally need benchmarking brag rights...

dugimodo
29-12-2010, 01:07 AM
I have 2 460's,performance is great but personally I'd avoid the hassle and get a single 570 if I was doing it now.

I find case airflow mostly irrelevant, with 6 case fans my Top 460 still goes over 90 degrees during a stress test, the only thing that has helped at all is a 90CFM side fan blowing directly onto the card, but the noise is extremely irritating and slower fans do nothing. (around 8-10 degrees better)

Think about this: -
not all games support SLI (or crossfire)
a single card works on any platform
at 1680 x 1050 or below even a single GTX 460 handles most games on very high settings (570 should handle 1080P)
a lot of PSU's dont have 4 PCIe power connectors
Any reasonable case will cool a single card no trouble at all.

I do recommend if you go SLI to get a MB with at least 2 spaces between PCIe x16 slots, closer and the top one will almost definately run hot.

As for CPU's - at the same price the AMD / Intel thing is mostly preference with no real advantage either way. With Intel though you have the option of buying a more expensive CPU that AMD currently have no match for.

jareemon
07-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Ok, ive decided not to go for sli, due to simplicity and compatability and cooling, ill look at the 570.

Can you recommend me a fast non-sli mobo with good ssd support and ddr3? (For an i5 or i7)

:pf1mobmini: