PDA

View Full Version : P5P43TD Motherboard Sound ports.

Mister
26-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Just a question, I got new computer speakers for christmas, logitech Z506's.

The instructions say plug the 3 cords into the right audio plugs on the computer, So I looked on my Realtek HD audio manger where the right plugs are, plugged them in.

But I get no in any plug except for the plug named "Line out"

Check that I have the right drivers and everything.

I then used some adapter plugs which let two cords go into 1, etc, and got them all in the green plug.

It doesn't sound good and some of the speakers have a small fuzz over them, or when they get turned up the sound is distorted. They do this when just the one plug is in aswell, I looked up the speakers and saw that others have the same problem. Replacing these speakers soon.

But for now, I wana sort out this audio problem, I got my old speakers and those to only work in the same plug, the line out one.

These are 5.1 surround sound speakers, if that helps.

Thanks.

Agent_24
26-12-2010, 07:54 PM
You will need to tell Windows and\or the Realtek program that you are actually using a 5.1 channel system or it will only output the default Stereo.

You will also need a program which plays in 5.1 channel and an audio file of some kind which contains 5.1 channels

If you want to send a normal Stereo signal over all the speakers make sure "Virtual Surround Sound" in your Realtek program etc is enabled.

GameJunkie
26-12-2010, 07:56 PM
according to this http://www.superwarehouse.com/ASUS_P5P43TD_Motherboard/P5P43TD/ps/1571767 its capable of 7.1 surround

Mister
26-12-2010, 08:25 PM
You will need to tell Windows and\or the Realtek program that you are actually using a 5.1 channel system or it will only output the default Stereo.

You will also need a program which plays in 5.1 channel and an audio file of some kind which contains 5.1 channels

If you want to send a normal Stereo signal over all the speakers make sure "Virtual Surround Sound" in your Realtek program etc is enabled.

I went into sound and audio options (XP Btw) and set it to 5.1 Surround sound speakers but nothing changed. I can't see where in the realtek program to change it.

And any programs you know of?

Mister
26-12-2010, 08:26 PM
according to this http://www.superwarehouse.com/ASUS_P5P43TD_Motherboard/P5P43TD/ps/1571767 its capable of 7.1 surround

And yeah, but none of those other ports make any sound :(

8ftmetalhaed
26-12-2010, 08:54 PM
GAH just lost my damn reply.

Ok, shorter explanation.

Your speakers are similar to mine. Check the speakers are plugged into the sub correctly. Once you're sure of this, check the sound quality of the speakers using an mp3 player or headphone or auxillary output of a stereo turned down quiet to start.

Next, your speakers should be plugged into grey for rear/side (not black, that's 7.1 territory), green for front and red for center/sub. Ensure this is the same on your sub and motherboard.

Next, you should have something like this as your realtek control panel.
http://www.kwokinator.com/images/realtek-hd-cc.png

The pictured scenario shows virtual surround. You want to change that from 2 speakers/stereo to 5.1 using the dropdown box on the left.

Also, ensure that room correction and sound effects are disabled, and the equaliser is set to a flat +0, since that might be screwing up the sound if you've been using them with the previous speakers.

8ftmetalhaed
26-12-2010, 08:58 PM
oh and also, fiddle with the advanced settings. If the 'mute the rear output when the front headphones are plugged in' is enabled, try it with it off, since that might be causing the other outputs to be muted if your green jack is plugged in at the back.

Mister
26-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Realtek audio control shows, Grey for "side speaker out" Green for Front and Orange for Center/Subwoofer out. The plugs are now in the correct ports.

My drop down arrows has "Headphone" and "2,4 and 6CH Speaker" I can't locate where to change it to 5.1.

Mister
26-12-2010, 09:32 PM
My Realtek screen looks like this (http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl=http://www.guruextraordinaire.com/images/realtek/AudioIOBackPanel.png&imgrefurl=http://www.scottlarsonconsulting.com/realtek-hd-mic-volume-control-hidden-output-menu&usg=__I6mcS3St7FeK1Kvj1UOLCD0VfxQ=&h=480&w=631&sz=130&hl=en&start=40&zoom=1&tbnid=mEZRCDm8FjrnyM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=178&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drealtek%2Bhd%2Baudio%2Bmanager%26um%3 D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1680%26 bih%3D896%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C342&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=421&ei=7gsXTaO1M4PqvQOR6PTlDQ&oei=iAsXTdLxCsjzcb735KMK&esq=2&page=2&ndsp=44&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:40&tx=42&ty=66&biw=1680&bih=896)

8ftmetalhaed
26-12-2010, 09:41 PM
try all the options then, using this.
http://www.lynnepublishing.com/surround/www_lynnemusic_com_surround_test.wma
I'm guessing it'll either be 4 or 6 channel, 4 would probably be L R C Sub, 6 would be L R C Sub Rl Rr.

Mister
26-12-2010, 09:55 PM
That file makes no sounds.

Tried all the options, and The Rear speakers are just making a crackling sound. No music at all.

When I had them all in green they played music. Maybe I have them in the wrong plug.

But my cords in the sub are green for audio in. And then Yellow and black cords are just called "Inputs" so I don't know what speakers they're for.

If that makes any sense.

Edit:Realtek audio manager says. C/Sub, L R and Front speaker are plugged in

Another edit: Theres a feature in this program that tests each speaker, it plays a sound through each one, the front speaker, sub and Centre all play a sound, just not the rear speakers.

8ftmetalhaed
26-12-2010, 10:02 PM
try them in the other black/grey jack then.

Mister
26-12-2010, 10:04 PM
*gasp* it worked. all speakers are now playing a sound.

Wish it was earlier in the day so I could test the quality now.

But thanks heaps 8ftmetalhaed. <3

Gah all except for one.

When it is its turn to play a sound, the sub plays instead.

8ftmetalhaed
26-12-2010, 10:08 PM
'sall good. Just note your settings down. First time I unplugged my speakers to clean my pc I stuck them in the wrong way and didn't notice for hours till I played a game with 5.1 and wondered why one set wasn't working.

If the sound quality isn't fabulous though, mess with the EQ a bit, turn the bass on the sub down, enable bass management and turn down the pc's volume a bit.

For me, I have the old series and I found they put out too much bass, which, while it's nice, is at times inconvenient when even at a low volume, particularly now i'm in a house with a hollow underfloor with my mum often sleeping a couple metres away.

That said, I also now use my headphones again.

wainuitech
26-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Have you tried updating to the latest Drivers ? they are the old style Realtek''s.

Go to The Asus web site and download/install the latest, the option for 5.1 is there in the settings.

Mister
26-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Have you tried updating to the latest Drivers ? they are the old style Realtek''s.

Go to The Asus web site and download/install the latest, the option for 5.1 is there in the settings.

Hi Wainuitech, what drivers would I search for exactly? Aparently I have 5.10.0.6000

Thanks,

Speedy Gonzales
26-12-2010, 10:20 PM
What version of windows is it? Looks like 5.10.0.5859/6.0.1.58 is there depending on the OS youre using

Mister
26-12-2010, 10:24 PM
What version of windows is it? Looks like 5.10.0.5859/6.0.1.58 is there depending on the OS youre using

XP, am I just updating the BIOs or? ... Argh, confusion :groan:

Speedy Gonzales
26-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Umm whats the BIOS got to do with the audio? You can update the BIOS if you want. It looks like thats up to 0511, the audio says

Realtek Audio Driver V5.10.0.5859 for Windows XP 64bit---
PassWHQL Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.5859 for Windows Vista 32bit/Vista 64bit/7---PassWHQL
Realtek Audio Driver V5.10.0.5859 for Windows XP 64bit---PassWHQL
Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.5859 for Windows Vista 32bit/Vista 64bit/7---PassWHQL

Dont know why it doesnt show XP but this is under audio if you select XP

feersumendjinn
27-12-2010, 10:10 AM
*gasp* it worked. all speakers are now playing a sound.

Wish it was earlier in the day so I could test the quality now.

But thanks heaps 8ftmetalhaed. <3

Gah all except for one.

When it is its turn to play a sound, the sub plays instead .
Untick this box (or the equivalent one in your program)
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Realtek1.JPG

Agent_24
27-12-2010, 01:58 PM
If you want the latest software download it from Realtek themselves.

Their drivers have always worked fine for me and the stuff on Motherboard sites is usually out of date.

Mister
27-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm going to return and get better speakers this wednesday, before I do, how much quality do sound cards give over, well motherboards?

Was looking at something like this. (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=365985)

Or would it just be best to continue using my motherboard one.

Thanks

8ftmetalhaed
27-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Depends, really. It might free up a bit of processing power but with what most people listen to, you might find it makes little difference at all.

What's wrong with the sound now though? Is it too bassy or what? My logitechs give me quite the nice sound and they're cheaper than yours, or are you an audiophile sort of person?

Agent_24
27-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Normal AC'97 Audio is nowhere near the quality provided by a decent sound card.

The new HDAudio on motherboards is better than AC'97 but still probably not as good as a decent sound card.

Unless you are an Audiophile you probably won't notice any difference between HDAudio and a good sound card.

Creative is OK but I would recommend the Asus Xonar or any other card based on the C-Media Oxygen chip.

Mister
27-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Depends, really. It might free up a bit of processing power but with what most people listen to, you might find it makes little difference at all.

What's wrong with the sound now though? Is it too bassy or what? My logitechs give me quite the nice sound and they're cheaper than yours, or are you an audiophile sort of person?

I like bassy music :D

But these speakers have a plastic crackling sound when you listen close, it's REALLY anoying, I've tested them on my MP3 and Laptop, it's the same deal. I looked around the net aswell, and others are complaining of the same issue.

Struggling to find good speakers though.

Mister
27-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Normal AC'97 Audio is nowhere near the quality provided by a decent sound card.

The new HDAudio on motherboards is better than AC'97 but still probably not as good as a decent sound card.

Unless you are an Audiophile you probably won't notice any difference between HDAudio and a good sound card.

Creative is OK but I would recommend the Asus Xonar or any other card based on the C-Media Oxygen chip.

Nah, not an Audiophile, just wana a good enough sound.