PDA

View Full Version : Changing Motherboard

nedkelly
26-12-2010, 08:33 AM
My mate has just had his motherboard die, is he able to buy a new board and then somehow make it so his current install will be able to work with the new board?

Tbird650
26-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Not easily. I swapped a board out recently on a vista PC. I elected to take the opportunity to do a clean install on a new HDD though. This allowed me to keep all my files, pics etc intact and retrieve at my leisure.
One annoyance was, because of significant hardware changes, I had to revalidate windows! I ended up having to phone microsoft and plead my case, saying I'd had hardware meltdown. They were good enough to give me a code to unlock.
Otherwise google "motherboard without reinstalling windows" for a number of good hits on the topic.
Good luck!

SP8's
26-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Shouldn't be a problem ... all the programs & data are stored on the HD ... install the new mobo according to the instructions and run the mobo setup CD.

You will have to make sure you get a mobo that will accept your CPU and RAM if you don't want to upgrade that as well, and make sure your PSU will power the board OK.

hopefully wainui might drop in and let you know of any other pitfalls you might encounter ... :D

SolMiester
26-12-2010, 09:27 AM
My mate has just had his motherboard die, is he able to buy a new board and then somehow make it so his current install will be able to work with the new board?

Yes, it quite easy if the chipsets are the same....if not you usually have to generalise the device hardware before swapping. In this case you cant, so plan B would be the repair install!
If he uses the administrator account however, he will lose his data from documents