PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Freeview

Mike
26-12-2010, 07:30 AM
My dad has Freeview (the UHF one, not the Sat one) - everytime he's watching the news or something with captions (like a persons name displays in an interview) there is a real loud buzz (so loud you can't hear the people talking) until the caption disappears.

He thought it was because he had the freeview plugs going through the DVD-Recorder and then to the TV, so we tried plugging straight into the TV yesterday and it still does the same thing.

What could be causing this noise, and how do I fix it? Or is it a faulty freeview box or something?

Cheers,
Mike.

SP8's
26-12-2010, 08:53 AM
See if using the fine tuning on the TV helps ... I had that problem once myself but can't remember whether it was the aerial or the TV that needed a bit of fine tuning. Used to happen when the screen had a lot of white as well.

Mike
26-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm not sure you can fine-tune a video input on the tv? I think the fine-tuning only works on the normal channels?

Mike.

SP8's
26-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Try the aerial position then ... :D ... but don't fall off the roof ... ACC wont be impressed !!

feersumendjinn
26-12-2010, 09:39 AM
You have a problem with the TV (old CRT set?), the video is interfering with the audio (possibly caused by failing electronics/suppression circuits?), you may need a new telly.
Try the STB on another TV.
You might find this helpful
http://ask.metafilter.com/103994/Could-someone-help-me-to-fix-an-old-TV

Agent_24
26-12-2010, 11:29 AM
What are you talking about? Freeview is Digital and thus works perfectly 100% of the time.

Or at least, that's what the Freeview advertisements will tell you.

I've seen more problems with DVB than with my old TV with Analog reception.

Billy T
26-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Captions are transmitted at 'peak level' video in order to override the broadcast image. Two causes of caption buzz can be an alignment defect in the TV, or excessive drive level from the freeview decoder. The simplest way to find out if it is a TV problem is to try another TV.

Alternatively, if the feed from the decoder to the TV is at RF (i.e. via the aerial socket), to check if there is excessive signal level, unplug the cable from the TV then partially reinsert it until you have weak sound and video. If it is buzz free then too much signal may be the problem.

If the TV has manual fine-tuning, adjusting one way will make the picture break up and the buzz worse, backing it off the other way may eliminate the buzz while leaving a clear picture.

Everything depends on the mix of technolgies and the age of the TV. The above may be of no help whatsoever but it is worth a try.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)=