PDA

View Full Version : Dodgey Modem

21-09-2001, 09:23 PM
i have win 98, Athlon 1ghz, 256mb ram e.t.c and I have a US Robotics External Courier V.Everything 56kps modem and whenever i try to dail my internet account on it, it say windows can't detect it. Yet when ever i booted up with the modem for the first time windows detected it and installed the drivers. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thank You

22-09-2001, 06:56 AM
I'm not sure, but I wonder if some other device is somehow clobbering the port the modem is using. You say you have an external, is it using a serial port? Some software can knacker the serial port - usually software for infra-red on notebooks. Do you have anything else using serial drivers? Regards, Rob C

22-09-2001, 07:03 AM
You probably have a setting wrong somewhere, or the driver is not installed properly. Start by going to control panel/modems/highlight your modem/ diagnostics/highlight your modem/more info. this runs a test to see if windows can detect your modem, if it can't, then see which com port your modem is installed on, and either try changing the port or look in device manager and make sure the port is installed and working properly. Come back with your results.