PDA

View Full Version : VLC and Windows Aero

goodiesguy
23-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Whenever i watch something in VLC in Windows 7, my screens flick, and go to Windows Basic theme (no glass) and when i quit it, the Windows Aero goes back to the glassy effect.

How do i fix it so it keeps the Aero glassy effect when watching stuff in VLC?

(sorry for asking all these questions, i'm not used to Windows 7 and am still learning. I'm used to XP Pro)

pcuser42
23-12-2010, 04:46 PM
This occurs in Vista as well, but only when I set the video output to DirectX IIRC. Changing it back to the default of Automatic should fix this.

wainuitech
23-12-2010, 08:14 PM
I've discovered sometimes The graphic card cant handle Aero when VLC is playing and it reverts to basic mode, other times it appears to be on lower powered machines, as Aero does use a fair amount of power sometimes.

goodiesguy
23-12-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm gonna leave it the way it is.

I got it to work with aero, but in full screen, it lagged like a *****.

Scouse
23-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Have you had a look through the Control Panel,System Security, Review Status, View Performance Information. This sometimes will tell you what aspect of the system is dragging......... probably the Graphics as you suspect.

pctek
24-12-2010, 01:18 PM
I've discovered sometimes The graphic card cant handle Aero when VLC is playing .

?? I was just about to comment until I read that, but then again I guess my card does handle it. I've never had ti flick out of Aero.

Just as well you said that......

GameJunkie
24-12-2010, 01:39 PM
here's the required specs needed for aero http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Aero#Requirements

seems ur pc can handle it (if we're talking about the specs in your siganture)

would be like a dog though

goodiesguy
24-12-2010, 01:45 PM
here's the required specs needed for aero http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Aero#Requirements

seems ur pc can handle it (if we're talking about the specs in your siganture)

would be like a dog though

It works fine. Windows 7, with Aero on, is actually faster than XP Pro.

Everything, including icons, things in taskbars, load within a few seconds of me logging in.

In XP, things seemed to take at least 30 or 40 seconds to load.

Firefox opens straight away on 7. on xp, it took a while to open.

pctek
25-12-2010, 06:44 AM
In XP, things seemed to take at least 30 or 40 seconds to load.

Firefox opens straight away on 7. on xp, it took a while to open.

That's probably just the difference between a bloated old install and a clean uncluttered fresh install.

Agent_24
26-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Radeon 9600 - That's pretty much the minimum requirement for Aero.

No wonder it lags when trying to play VLC as well.