PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 can't see XP PC's on network

Tbird650
22-12-2010, 11:48 PM
There are 2x Windows 7 Compaq laptops with the same issue. One is new, other is nearly a year old. The laptops can't find any of the 3 XP SP3 machines, though the XP desktops find all the computers.
There's a printer attached via USB to one of the XP SP3 PC's. This is really the main gripe in that we can't print, via the network.
The laptops which are wirelessly connected to d-link router, fail to find the XP SP3 machines. Each can get on the internet fine.
Google get lots of hits on the problem and I've spent 6+ hours trying the tips.
People are reporting a number of different solutions though none work out4us.
Network advanced settings have been tweaked and "work network" is selected.
Both laptops do this: network and internet>view network computers & devices... this only shows itself.
To make life more interesting, the new (64bit) laptop is a xmas gift so we can't bring it out in the open unless the recipient is out.... till xmas.
Are we overlooking something?
Ideas invited, thanks.

On a footnote, I did fix the printing issue with help of a web tip. Idea was to set up a local printer but address it to the XP machine, add a driver.... and what do ya know, it worked!

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Has this been installed on the XP Pc's ? (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en)

Tbird650
23-12-2010, 12:02 AM
I found that tip earlier.... and thought: this is going to be easy fix!
From memory, the message on attempted install said SP3 already has the update.

Speedy Gonzales
23-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Ok do all have the same workgroup name then? I would kill Homegroup in Win7, since XP doesnt support it. Did you share a folder in XP as well? Do any of the XP PC's have 3rd party firewalls?

Tbird650
23-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Ok do all have the same workgroup name then? I would kill Homegroup in Win7, since XP doesnt support it Yes, all have same workgroup name. Am not using homegroup either. All XP PC's have Xp's firewall. Yes to sharing folders.
I think I've found something here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120) It's a SP3 hotfix which I had to request and receive by email. Won't be able to try for a wee while... In any case will post back the result.

Speedy Gonzales
23-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Looks like that link is just a later version / update to the 2nd post. Umm are all of the ips on auto / dhcp or did you type them in manually? Is XP Horne or Pro?

Tbird650
23-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks Speedy

Link in 2nd post goes to a SP2 fix according to "Supported Operating Systems".

All Xp desktops are pro and on static IP. The laptop is DHCP. Not sure re other lappy but I think it's DHCP as well. Will check on that too, asap. Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
23-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Umm since all can get on the net I could check one of them out with teamviewer. If you want

Its sounds like its something small thats stuffing things up!

Tbird650
23-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Thanks Speedy
Will have to make it at a later time.
Will advise.
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
23-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Thats cool. Send me a PM when you want me to check it out. Once you get teamviewer and install it

gary67
23-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Unusual I know but I found when adding the 2 win7 machines to me workgroup I needed to have the XP computers on and connected to the network before adding the win7 machines to the workgroup otherwise they didn't see the XP machines

SolMiester
23-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Is network discovery turned on on the Windows 7 PC?

Speedy Gonzales
23-12-2010, 09:19 AM
This guy had the same prob (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/thread/69cd6e3b-fa48-4030-bdc0-0c8700af6a90). Read the bottom bit. And (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/7c4ae439-f0f4-4f1e-a62d-81b1387d3d2b)

Tbird650
23-12-2010, 02:50 PM
SolMiester
Yes, network discovery is on. Also file & printer sharing is on. Public folder sharing is on. Password protection is off. Homegroup connections off: use user accounts & passwords...

Speedy
Thanks for those links. Both I hadn't found. Lots more things to try there.
I won't be able to get to the place where these are till at least tomorrow.

It's been at least 8hrs of effort so far to sort this.
Wish me luck.
Thanks.

Tbird650
24-12-2010, 07:13 PM
I had 10mins only today at the site of these computers, so tried some of the tips that posters had reported success with.... from one of Speedy's links.

Changed computer workgroup name to anything else, then change it back again, reboots in between. No difference.

Added computer description... No difference.

Disable IPv6... No difference.

I was also able to determine that the second of the 2 laptops also was on DHCP.

Will post more findings soon... maybe after xmas
Thanks

linw
25-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Happy Xmas! Couple of things. Are your XP's Home or Pro. Drives NTFS?

The fact that you got the printing working means that the win 7 comp can see the xp machines using UNC names. At the command prompt type net view. Does this show the other comps?

I have a win7, Vista and XP Home network happily sharing folders so it can be done!

I use simple file sharing using the embedded guest account (not to be confused with the guest account you see in the user account maint area). For each share I set security to allow the group 'Everyone' to have full control. The embedded guest is a member of Everyone thus allowing access.

Cheers and will check back after Xmas dinner has worn off!!

jinja_thom
25-12-2010, 12:18 PM
When I setup my network several months ago I had the same problems until I used usernames and passwords on all of the systems involved, then it just all came together. I think it was just coincedence that I used the same username but different passwords on each system and in any case it no longer seems to matter, I think it is only the first time a connection is made.
At that first connection the system trying to make the connection, requests the username and password of the target system to make sure the user trying to access it has authoity to do so.
Since then I have removed passwords from my user on all systems but can still access them all and the shared files and printer.
I think SolMiester is right in his advice re user names and passwords.

Speedy Gonzales
25-12-2010, 12:25 PM
You dont need usernames or passwords. If you network XP / Vista, or Win7.

I've networked all 3 before and never used usernames or passwords to share between them

BBCmicro
25-12-2010, 06:50 PM
I have two media players that work fine with XP but not Win7. The Probox displays the Win7 computer's name but spuriously asks for a login to see further. There's no fix. FTP works

The Mediagate says "no shared folders" even though there are. There's no fix. Mediagate say the problem is Microsoft changing things on Win7.

These probs relate to folder sharing not printer access. But they might be related.

I've just thought of another Win7 problem I had - WMP12 not accessing folders on the same machine. Problem turned out to be AVG. Safe Surf or something. I switched it off and it came right

Tbird650
25-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Hi All, sorry I wasn't able to get the site of the computer issues today. Hopefully tomorrow...

linw,
The XP desktop PC's are all XP pro. Drives are NTFS. I'll check on the simple file sharing setting.

I got thinking today, so I set up a fresh installed desktop PC with XP pro, cabled it to my D-link router. Within a few minutes I had it sharing with my windows7 desktop. I ran network wizard on the XP is all had to do.
As another test, I got my HP laptop (wireless) and was able to see both the PC's.
Being a fresh install on the desktop, I hadn't had time to tweak the windows services like I'd normally do. I did this according to Black Viper (http://www.blackviper.com/) and the "safe" setting.
I thought maybe the 3 XP PC's in question have an issue with a service I'd turned off. Looks like the answer is no. I tweaked the services and it still networks perfectly and even rebooted both PC's to double check.

Tomorrow I'll check the simple file sharing, ping each computer, apply the link layer fix and take my laptop as well. Am tempted to take the w7 desktop but that's a fair amount of work. Might prove a point though....

Thanks

Tbird650
02-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Update:
Well I finally got back to the site of the networked PC's and run a few checks. (Xmas silly season and all!)
I can confirm that the W7 laptops can see each other but can't see the XP desktop machines. They can ping the XP desktops OK. The XP's desktops can both see and ping the W7 laptops. I had a look at the windows services on the desktops, found online, the default setting spec and reset. This made no difference. I didn't have time to try the link layer hotfix and now the password for it has expired. I don't see why it would need this hotfix given that my W7/XP PC's at home network ok without it!?!
Only the XP desktop with the attached USB printer has a username/password.
Looking back now I hadn't tried the "net view" from command prompt as per linw's tip. Will get to it shortly. (My wired/wireless PC's at home show fine with this).
(at least 10hrs total battling with this so far. Good thing I'm just helping someone as a favour! LOL)