PDA

View Full Version : Which computer to buy? Toshiba Satelitte L640/01H or Sony VPCEA25?

Bigfulla
22-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a 14" laptop for my partner.

It's come down to either the Toshiba Satelitte L640/01H or Sony VPCEA25. Both sit just over the (NZ) $1000 mark.

Here are the key specs:

Sony VPCEA25 http://www.sony.co.nz/product/vpcea25fg
2.26 Ghz Intel core i3 processor
4GB Ram
320GB HDD
512MB Graphics Card
2.35kg

Toshiba Satelitte L640/01H http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/XC8844
2.26 Ghz Intel core i5 processor
2GB Ram
320GB HDD
Unknown Graphics Card
2.30kg

Which one would you buy?

On paper it looks like the Sony looks like the better computer with another 2GB of ram, but is it really the better computer?

A guy at Dick Smiths just told me that the reason they don't sell the Sony's anymore is because they are rubbish compared to Toshibas. Any truth to that?

Appreciate any insights!

johcar
22-12-2010, 10:58 PM
A Tosh over a Sony any day.

Besides the Tosh has the gruntier processor, aside from being a more reliable brand than Sony.

Not sure you'd be getting a better price at Dick Smiths though... Try PB Tech.

pctek
23-12-2010, 07:18 AM
It's come down to either the Toshiba Satelitte L640/01H or Sony VPCEA25. Both sit just over the (NZ) $1000 mark.

A guy at Dick Smiths just told me that the reason they don't sell the Sony's anymore is because they are rubbish compared to Toshibas. Any truth to that?

Don't know that I'd believe anything they say.
However generally Toshiba do have a good reputation. It's what parts are used in them.

The business Toshibas are better - they get a 3 yr warranty, but still the basic ones are OK. Fairly low failure rate.

I'd choose the Core i5 over the Core i3.

SolMiester
23-12-2010, 07:23 AM
My Satelite from 2002 is still going.....personally, id never buy a Sony laptop, they are just expensive period!

wratterus
23-12-2010, 08:02 AM
My Tosh Satellite A100 still goes great. I'd go for the Tosh hands down, they are a more solid machine, and as a whole Tosh are more reliable than Sony, although I think Sony have been improving of late.

And if the Tosh did happen do develop an issue, they have the best service of any large company I've dealt with.

DeSade
23-12-2010, 08:03 AM
You can put more ram in the Tosh, you cannot change out the processor in the Sony (easily anyway)

Strommer
23-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Toshiba. I am now using a new Toshiba L650 laptop I got for SWMBO and it is super.

The one in your specs may have onboard graphics instead of a graphics card but that should be OK. My wife did like the colour of the Sony's but we decided that after awhile the colour would be annoying and eventually would "date" (like the avocado green bathrooms of the 1970's).

I would go for the Toshiba unless you don't mind paying more for the Sony. However you may want to put in another stick of 2Gb RAM in the Toshiba - that is what I have done here ($52 shipping included). Running 32 bit Win7 will not utilize all of the 4Gb RAM but the extra stick will boost the system with at least another 1 Gb of RAM.

Having said all that, if your partner is going to use the laptop for normal everyday use (internet surfing, word processing), you may want them to decide what "feels" or "looks" better. Nothing really wrong with the Sony other than it is somewhat overpriced.

You may also be better off shopping around for a better price. The DSE price is OK but you may save $50 - $100 or more looking around. We got our Toshiba at Noel Lemmings as it had a better price and came with Fly Buys. You can also ask for a better price or a freebie like a wireless mouse - just tell the sales person or manager that you are comparing prices and want the best deal, otherwise you will go elsewhere.

PinoyKiw
23-12-2010, 08:22 AM
I would suggest the Toshiba as well.

We only run Toshiba laptops here, still using older A50 models through to the latest greatest whiz bang models, we have never had a issue with any of them. Some are factory standard, others have increased ram.

They have never missed a beat.

If price is similair I would go for the faster i5 core, ram is cheap if you are running applications that would benefit from extra.

Strommer
23-12-2010, 08:27 AM
CPU: i3 versus i5

IMO it depends on what the laptop will be used for.
If it is just for normal everyday use (internet surfing, word processing) then I doubt if there would be much difference in performance - at least as noticed by the user.

The reason I got SWMBO a new laptop was that her 8 year old HP lappy gave up connecting to the internet. The cpu was 1Ghz or lower and the onboard graphics was pathetic (14 Mb I believe!). BUT it worked really good for everyday use - hard to believe but it is true.

Bigfulla
23-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks very much guys sounds like the Toshiba is the one to get.

Just went into Sony Style and the Sony laptop has come down to $1099 (from $1599) and DSE will do the Toshiba for $1199 (from $1299).

Would you still go for the Toshiba?

wratterus
23-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Yes.

Strommer
23-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks very much guys sounds like the Toshiba is the one to get.

Just went into Sony Style and the Sony laptop has come down to $1099 (from $1599) and DSE will do the Toshiba for $1199 (from $1299).

Would you still go for the Toshiba?

Technically there is nothing wrong with Sony laptops. Good build quality. Most of us here on PF1 would put ASUS first, then Toshiba as a close second. But Sony is good as well.

At $1099 the Sony is attractive, especially with 4 Gb RAM. And I believe it is 64 bit compared to 32 bit with the Toshiba. So I would go with the Sony.

Bigfulla, personally I would leave it up to your partner to decide - on what they 'feel' is better.

Whatever you do, stay away from ACER.

SolMiester
23-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Id have a Tosh over any other laptop period, then HP, then ASUS.....

PinoyKiw
23-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Unless you are planning on the laptop as being a total surprise..........and while personally I would go for the Toshiba........ladies being ladies, said tongue in cheek of course, can be a bit fashion fussy sometimes, colour, looks, keypad layout, glossy screen, etc.

My wife for example, has several pink portable drives, she hates the black drives. Same with her own personal Toshiba, what I thought was the best laptop for her wasn't the one she wanted, she wanted the one with brighter screen and glossy cover, not that there was much difference between the 2 toshiba's but............

inphinity
23-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Personally I would go for the Toshiba, because it has the better CPU. However, both are good laptops, and have slightly different strengths and weaknesses. Both are good brands, with good backing and generally low failure rates. And hey, if the $100 difference is a big deal to you, you probably won't be disappointed with the Sony.

However, personal preferences come into it like the feel of the keyboard, the look, weight, etc. Also, what it will be used for has an effect, as does your willingness to spend a bit extra down the road to upgrade, e.g. the RAM in the Toshiba.

pctek
23-12-2010, 10:10 AM
My wife did like the colour of the Sony's but we decided that after awhile the colour would be annoying and eventually would "date" (like the avocado green bathrooms of the 1970's).

Um. it's a laptop, it won't last long enough to date. (As in specs, not hardware failure)

And she liked the colour??!!! :groan:

Best not let her buy a car then! Oh look, that ones a pretty colour........

utopian201
23-12-2010, 11:03 AM
the onboard graphics was pathetic (14 Mb I believe!). BUT it worked really good for everyday use - hard to believe but it is true.

I think that would still be able to drive a windows desktop at 1920x1200@32bit colour

I'd say the top ones (in no particular order) are Toshiba, HP Elitebook/Probook, Dell Latitude and Apple Macbook Pros. With the exception of the Apple, you won't find these in shops and they're also popular with businesses (which need notebooks to be reliable and last several years).

Most IT departments issue the above because they need them to last several years.

Paul Ramon
23-12-2010, 11:17 AM
At $1099 the Sony is attractive, especially with 4 Gb RAM. And I believe it is 64 bit compared to 32 bit with the Toshiba. So I would go with the Sony.

I've supplied & setup quite a few Toshiba laptops this year with not one complaint or come back. I also have a 4yr old satallite which I often use - no complaints there either. The 32bit or 64bit OS can be selected on first start /setup normally. Pity they're supplied with the Nortons install option rather than a good free AV tho. (the power of marketing eh!!)

Paul Ramon
23-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Um. it's a laptop, it won't last long enough to date. (As in specs, not hardware failure)

x2 lol:lol::lol:

Agent_24
23-12-2010, 12:13 PM

Why HP? They had the highest failure rate in that review... (http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-reliability-survey-asus-and-toshiba-win-hp-fails/)

I'd definitely get the one with the fastest CPU, which just happens to be the Toshiba, which I also like.

Upgrading the RAM and HDD after purchase is no problem, in fact probably cheaper.

utopian201
23-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Why HP? They had the highest failure rate in that review... (http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-reliability-survey-asus-and-toshiba-win-hp-fails/)

If you're really interested, google for some elitebook/probook reviews; they are built like tanks. They have alloy chassis instead of plastic and are definitely a step up above your average consumer notebook found in the shop.

I don't doubt the failure rate of HP's consumer line (pavilion etc) though :(

wratterus
23-12-2010, 01:00 PM
They need to separate hp and compaq in those tests, things get a bit skewed..

Compaq looks better than it actually is, and the good HP ones appear dodgy.

SolMiester
23-12-2010, 01:33 PM

I'd definitely get the one with the fastest CPU, which just happens to be the Toshiba, which I also like.

Upgrading the RAM and HDD after purchase is no problem, in fact probably cheaper.

Conducted by a company which sells extended warranties, which means they are NOT business class laptops, we are talking bog standard Pavilion's here!, the dross at the bottom of the barrel!
edit - Meh, utopian beat me to it!

Strommer
23-12-2010, 02:21 PM

Hey, don't jump to :groan: conclusions. We were comparing laptops with very similar specs and prices.