PDA

View Full Version : sound card driver issue

goodiesguy
22-12-2010, 07:41 PM
I've just upgrade to windows 7 (woo hoo!)

Everything is fine, except my sound card.

I installed the driver from the original disk for my Genius Soundmaker 32x PCI sound card, but in device manager it says:

this device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. code 12

Could it be because the Sound card is quite old?
Also, are there windows 7 or vista drivers for it?

Or will i have to change my sound card.

The onboard is not plugged in on the motherboard as the motherboard manual is confusing for that bit.

So, any suggestions on how to get the sound card working?

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Even tho you havent plugged anything into the onboard card, it doesnt mean its not using resources. Disable it in the BIOS, then the card you installed may work

goodiesguy
22-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Even tho you havent plugged anything into the onboard card, it doesnt mean its not using resources. Disable it in the BIOS, then the card you installed may work

What will my bios call it?

The Bios on my current Mobo is different from my old mobo.

my old mobo bios looked like this (http://www.msi.com/uploads/Image/techexpress/mainboard/7160/bios01.gif)

my current mobo bios looks like this (http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2005/09/22/bios_for_beginners/bios-peri.jpg)

And that above picture i think has just answered my question. Once i've installed Windows Live Essentials 2011, i'll restart and go into my bios.

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2010, 08:14 PM
The 5th one AC97. And you may want to enable the 6th one, if you want to use the NIC on it

goodiesguy
22-12-2010, 08:29 PM
I disabled AC97 in the Bios.

The soundcard still aint working.

I think the card might be too old.

XP picked it up as a "Crystal SoundFusion(tm) CS4281 WDM Audio Driver" and it worked fine.

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Uninstall the drivers you installed reboot then see if it installs some. Or go to windowsupdate do a check and see if it gives you some. If not, you'll have to remove it and use the onboard sound

goodiesguy
22-12-2010, 08:35 PM
I would love to use to onboard sound, but the instructions are too confusing for me, and i was originally gonna use the onboard when i changed the mobo over, but i was told by somebody here that if i put them in wrong, it could blow my mobo.

I can scan the page that explains how to connect them so you can try and make sense of it if you like, as it would be a big help.

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2010, 08:39 PM
I would love to use to onboard sound, but the instructions are too confusing for me, and i was originally gonna use the onboard when i changed the mobo over, but i was told by somebody here that if i put them in wrong, it could blow my mobo.

Oh you mean for the front panel of the case (for audio)? I take it, the wires from the front of the case are separate not in one block?

goodiesguy
22-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Oh you mean for the front panel of the case (for audio)? I take it, the wires from the front of the case are separate not in one block?

yes, thats exactly correct. if i can get them plugged in correctly, the Onboard sound will work. They are all separate little blocks, and they look like they fit 2 pins in each.

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2010, 08:46 PM
It'll work from the back of the case, it just wont work from the front. Post pics of the connection from the manual. And the connections / wires from the front panel of the case

goodiesguy
22-12-2010, 08:50 PM
It'll work from the back of the case, it just wont work from the front. Post pics of the connection from the manual. And the connections / wires from the front panel of the case

I will do that now.

I installed the onboard sound driver when i had xp and i didn't get any sound. I was told on here that i had to connect the wires from the front panel of the case for the onboard to work.

my sound jack connects into the back. I don't use the front panel jacks. I have the front USB working if that helps, as those were easy to connect.

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2010, 08:54 PM
You dont have to connect the front panel to get sound. Altho, this may depend on the brand / model of the mobo. The back plugs SHOULD still work, but obviously the front Mic / audio ports wont. I'll wait for you to post the pics

goodiesguy
22-12-2010, 09:00 PM
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1269/img029z.jpg

here's the page from the manual. its only the one on the right that you need. sorry for it not being the greatest scan, but it's still sharp and readable.

I can't take a picture of the wires at the moment, but i can type what they say and what their size is:

on one grey wire: Ground - occupys 1 pin..... L-out L-ret occupies 2 pins (these are both on the same black end)

on the second grey wire: R-out R-ret occupies 2 pins (also on the same black end)
Ground - occupies 1 pin.( on its own black end)
Mic in - occupies 1 pin (on its own black end)
Mic Power - occupies 1 pin( on its own black end)

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2010, 09:06 PM
wrong pins / pic GG. You need the connection for the Fpanel / front panel connection

goodiesguy
22-12-2010, 09:16 PM
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4361/img030zq.jpg

is this the correct page? ( just checked, its the wrong damn page!)

I'll look for the manual on the net if its not the right page.

this is what my mobo looks like, with a few things being slightely different
http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/albatron/km400pro.htm

here's the mobo layout:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8339/img031l.jpg

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Dont think so, whats this I've circled (might be parallel connection)?? Thats what the connector will look like (its normally a 2 x5 (on each side block)

goodiesguy
22-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Dont think so, whats this I've circled (might be parallel connection)?? Thats what the connector will look like (its normally a 2 x5 (on each side block)

in big white letters it says GAME PORT.

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2010, 09:38 PM
This one I've circled. This is it here. All we need now is a pic of the wires from the front. Altho, I would really update this system dude. It maybe running DDR 333/400 ram, but youre not going to get the most out of it, with Win7

goodiesguy
22-12-2010, 09:46 PM
This one I've circled. This is it here. All we need now is a pic of the wires from the front

I'll take a picture soon, after i've finished eating fish and chips.

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Sweet OK

goodiesguy
22-12-2010, 10:02 PM
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/5127/dscf2074e.jpg

the front ones are quite blurry but they are still readable, and if you have trouble, i can tell you what they are.

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Right well that ground wire goes to the ground on the connection on the mobo (pin 2).

The other 2 pin 9/10. - L-Out I would say goes to pin 10. L-Return to pin 9. Are those the only wires? There's no mic input on the front of the case?

goodiesguy
22-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Right well that ground wire goes to the ground on the connection on the mobo (pin 2).

The other 2 pin 9/10. - L-Out I would say goes to pin 10. L-Return to pin 9. Are those the only wires? There's no mic input on the front of the case?

those front blurred wires are another GROUND, the r out and r ret. along with the MIC IN and MIC POWER.

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Ok, leave one ground off you dont need it (just connect 1 of the grounds to pin2) the mic in to pin1, mic power to mic_vref (pin3). Then turn it on. Then test the audio then the mic

goodiesguy
22-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Ok, leave one ground off you dont need it (just connect 1 of the grounds to pin2) the mic in to pin1, mic power to mic_vref (pin3). Then turn it on. Then test the audio then the mic

I'm gonna do that soon.

i checked in the windows updates and theres one for VIA AC'97. so i'll install that update as it will be a driver then i will restart, enable it again in the bios, and will see if the sound works. if not, i'll then plug the connecters into the pins

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Did you remove the card you installed?

goodiesguy
22-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Did you remove the card you installed?

I'm going to do that now, im turning off my pc.

goodiesguy
22-12-2010, 11:24 PM
I don't even think the onboard VIA AC'97 is supported. The old realtek ac 97 on my old mobo worked fine with vista.

Looks like i'll have to snatch the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 24 bit advanced hd PCI sound card out of my dads pc, as he only browses internet and checks email. We originally got the card so i could edit a wedding video in surround sound, he also uses MY cords for his sound, and i can set his oboard to the 5.1 setting, even though he only has 3.1 out of the 5 hooked up. So i have a reason to use it. Also, i'm the one who edits audio and video etc..

It looks like i'll do that tomorrow as i'm almost certain that card will work with windows 7.

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2010, 11:28 PM
What does device manager say for the onboard soundcard?? Its not mute is it? Did you install the driver from wndowsupdate if it was there? Do the back audio ports work?

goodiesguy
22-12-2010, 11:48 PM
What does device manager say for the onboard soundcard?? Its not mute is it? Did you install the driver from wndowsupdate if it was there? Do the back audio ports work?

There's nothing in Device manager of it. i tried installing the driver from the disk and it didn't recognize the operating system.

the windows update for it did nothing.

and i went to the via site, and there is no windows 7 driver for it.

As i said, it is easier, and better for me that i grab the sound card out of my dads pc. He can damn well use the onboard. as i'm the one who does all the amazing stuff.

Oh, I may come across as a computer idiot on here, i built my first pc when i was 8, and i've been able to troubleshoot and install software and hardware since i was about 6.

I come on here and ask questions about this kinda stuff because of the Bad luck i had with my old mobo (which its bios rom was dying), and i don't want anything bad to happen to my new mobo. So i'm very carefull and ask you awesome people.

Sorry if that bored you, i just didn't want you thinking i was a computer idiot. I have fixed quite a few friends pc's too. I'm not boasting and i still have alot to learn, but i thought i should tell you as you have helped me soo much.

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Didnt say you were an idiot. Just trying to see what came up (which is obviously nothing, by the sounds of it). Was there a Vista 32 driver on the Via site? That would or should work. Or it could be too old, like you said. If you want to use the onboard sound, I could check it out with teamviewer. If you want. If the sound worked before, I cant see why it wont work now

goodiesguy
22-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Didnt say you were an idiot. Just trying to see what came up (which is obviously nothing, by the sounds of it). Was there a Vista 32 driver on the Via site? That would or should work. Or it could be too old, like you said. If you want to use the onboard sound, I could check it out with teamviewer. If you want. If the sound worked before, I cant see why it wont work now

I know you Never said i was an idiot, i just wanted to say that i wasn't an idiot, cos it made me feel better.

It's never worked.

The onboard realtek sound on my OLD mobo worked. I have never got the VIA onboard on my new mobo to work.

And it's easier for my to use my dads sound card, and also, his is 24 bit.

Speedy Gonzales
23-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Hmm ok so if its new how new is it? Are we talking about the KM400A (which isnt new), or something else?

feersumendjinn
23-12-2010, 12:04 AM
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1269/img029z.jpg

here's the page from the manual. its only the one on the right that you need. sorry for it not being the greatest scan, but it's still sharp and readable.
If I'm reading that paragraph on the on-board sound front audio connection correctly you cannot have output from the rear audio sockets at the same time as the front (if you remove the jumpers and connect your front audio leads, you'll get no sound from the rear). :2cents:

goodiesguy
23-12-2010, 12:14 AM
the Soundcard im gonna take outta my dads pc is about 2 years old and the drivers are still supported and updated

feersumendjinn
23-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Sweet.

goodiesguy
23-12-2010, 01:03 AM
On a better note. I'm amazed at how well Windows 7 runs. its soo much better than old xp pro.

I'm gonna google and see what i can do to tweak it for optimal results (legal stuff of course).

pctek
23-12-2010, 08:15 AM

I installed the driver from the original disk for my Genius Soundmaker 32x PCI sound card,

Thats why, it's not a Win7 driver. You need to go look if there is one. If not why not just use the onboard.? Not worth bothering with sound cards these days unless you want some special connector or something.

SolMiester
23-12-2010, 08:26 AM

I installed the driver from the original disk for my Genius Soundmaker 32x PCI sound card, but in device manager it says:

this device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. code 12

Could it be because the Sound card is quite old?
Also, are there windows 7 or vista drivers for it?

Or will i have to change my sound card.

The onboard is not plugged in on the motherboard as the motherboard manual is confusing for that bit.

So, any suggestions on how to get the sound card working?

Your PC has run out of IRQ and DMA address settings for somereason, had the same issue here yesterday after SP3 to an old P4 system. Go into BIOS and diable serial port, parallel port and anything you arent using.....still be okay after that!

goodiesguy
23-12-2010, 01:56 PM
I put the "Sound Blaster Audigy" card out of my dads pc into mine, windows update got the latest drivers and softwares, and i have sound.