PDA

View Full Version : dual booting 2 versions of XP Pro

videoguy
21-12-2010, 01:14 PM
:banana

Hi I have a friend who is running flight sim x on win xp pro

he has a p4 2 gigs of ram 3 gig system with dual video cards. two Hard drives in the case and a backup 1 gig drive.

with adding other programs installed flight sim slows down despite defragging etc.

I was thinking of having two xp systems on different drives

1 drive for his general computing including email and other programs he uses and another drive completly dedicated to flightsimx.

I was concidering a switch that switched the 12 and 5 volt rails between case drives so that only one drive would run at a time .

Or

If possible Dual boot XP between both system drives

Any suggestions really appreciated

Mant thanks

nedkelly
21-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Hmm should not be too hard to set up a dual boot.
Would probably have to edit boot.ini to do it.

wainuitech
21-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Dual boot XP Pro between two Drives, use one for general day to day stuff, and the other for games - when starting simply select what OS you want.

May pay, once they are both up and running to change the names so you can tell which one is which.

You can use the Same XP product key on both OS's since they are still on the One PC.

nedkelly
21-12-2010, 02:03 PM
You can use the Same XP product key on both OS's since they are still on the One PC.

Really?
Wow wish I had known that before.

dugimodo
21-12-2010, 02:20 PM
you could even clone the existing windows then create a boot menu afterwards if you're tricky enough.

To create a dual boot though all you have to do is boot off the windows CD and when it asks choose to install windows onto a different drive rather than over the existing one. Windows should automatically detect the old copy and create a boot menu to allow you to choose between them.

edit: I have seen programs that attempt to free up resources for gaming, you can also do it manually by terminating any unecessary processes. It seems likely to me that installed software is using up system RAM rather than hard drive space being the issue (unless it's almost full)