PDA

View Full Version : Updating Home Network

tinakarori
21-12-2010, 11:31 AM
I have a wired and wireless home network, set up by an IT Tech who is no longer available. The network is based on a D-Link AirPlus wireless router, connected to TelstraClear cable broadband. My desktop PC was connected direct to the router, and the network was controlled from this PC. My laser printer is connected by Cat9 direct to the router's dedicated printer port. My inkjet is connected by a USB cable to another port on the router.

Recently the desktop PC died, irreparably. Because I can't at present afford to replace it, I have substituted my Tablet PC, connected to the desktop keyboard and VDU. However, I can't figure out how to reconfigure the network so that the Tablet now controls the network, and can drive the printers etc through the router, i.e. so that the Desktop is removed from the equation.

I hope that I have described the present network setup and the problem accurately, so that someone can help.

Cheers

Tinakarori

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Does the tablet have a brand / model??

linw
22-12-2010, 08:58 AM
The desktop/Tablet are not 'controlling' the network. The router is doing that. Your job, now, is just to get the Tablet to connect with appropriate ethernet settings.

What operating system does the tablet have? Is it connected via wireless or ethernet cable? Is the router configured for DHCP? If so, just connecting the Tablet may do the trick.

gary67
22-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Can you log into the router from the tablet to see the router settings? Have a look here (http://www.ehow.com/how_2253861_airplus-xtreme-g-wireless-router.html)

According to that site I linked to the log in should be 192.168.0.1

SolMiester
22-12-2010, 09:12 AM
The desktop/Tablet are not 'controlling' the network. The router is doing that. Your job, now, is just to get the Tablet to connect with appropriate ethernet settings.

What operating system does the tablet have? Is it connected via wireless or ethernet cable? Is the router configured for DHCP? If so, just connecting the Tablet may do the trick.

+1....router has printers\internet and is the link, not the desktop, thats gone burger!

tinakarori
22-12-2010, 09:19 AM
It is an HP Compaq TC4200, running the Vista Home Premium OS, and principally MS Office 2003 Professional. At present it is connected to the router wirelessly. I'm sorry, I don't know whether the router is configured for DHCP, in fact I don't even know how to find out!

gary67
22-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Use that link I posted to help you have a look through the router settings. What part of NZ are you there might be someone nearby that could help from this forum

SolMiester
22-12-2010, 09:38 AM
It is an HP Compaq TC4200, running the Vista Home Premium OS, and principally MS Office 2003 Professional. At present it is connected to the router wirelessly. I'm sorry, I don't know whether the router is configured for DHCP, in fact I don't even know how to find out!

The fact it is already connected to the router means you dont need to do anything! The router is issuing addresses automatically..

tinakarori
22-12-2010, 02:55 PM
"What part of NZ are you there might be someone nearby that could help from this forum"
I'm in Wellington - the North-West suburbs.

"The fact it is already connected to the router means you dont need to do anything! The router is issuing addresses automatically.. "
The problem is that when I want to print something, for example, the network seems to be looking for the deceased Desktop (that is no longer physically there) as part of the link between the Tablet and the printer.

Actually, I would welcome any suggestions for a good, experienced IT service person who operates in my area - my previous one was really good, but seems to have vanished into thin air some time in the last six months!

gary67
22-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Give Wainuitech a private message he's Wellington well Wainui based

SolMiester
22-12-2010, 03:26 PM
"What part of NZ are you there might be someone nearby that could help from this forum"
I'm in Wellington - the North-West suburbs.

"The fact it is already connected to the router means you dont need to do anything! The router is issuing addresses automatically.. "
The problem is that when I want to print something, for example, the network seems to be looking for the deceased Desktop (that is no longer physically there) as part of the link between the Tablet and the printer.

Actually, I would welcome any suggestions for a good, experienced IT service person who operates in my area - my previous one was really good, but seems to have vanished into thin air some time in the last six months!

When you print from where?, the printer name, does it say 'printer on desktop'.....?. best way to reconnect is browse your network places, windows network, router and then right click the printers and click connect!

linw
24-12-2010, 10:54 AM
It is also important to power your router off then on to (hopefully) clear routing tables. I had a hell of a job with printing after a comp was changed till I got the router to rebuild its tables with the actual devices present.

decibel
24-12-2010, 07:39 PM
It seems to me to be more likely that your tablet doesn't know where to find the network printer (assuming you are trying to print from the Tablet).

If so, you may need a driver to be loaded in the Tablet - depending on the relative ages of the devices, this may have come on a disk with the printer.

Y