PDA

View Full Version : NetComm NB6Plus4Wn: wireless just not happening

mstee
21-12-2010, 10:21 AM
I have win7 on my laptop, a Realtek RTL8191SE adapter, NetComm NB6Plus4Wn router (ethernet connection works brilliantly), and no matter what I try, I can't get wireless working. The standard setup is very, very basic but it just doesn't want to connect.

I have the laptop 3 feet from the router (no barriers between them), turned off the cordless phone but I am pretty sure it's working at 5 not 2.4 GHz. Used the standard router settings (reset to factory defaults after trying to set up security from scratch) and cleared out all wireless networks already in place on the laptop (after all, it's easy enough to set it up - isn't it??? ).

The router is replacing the stock Thomson from Telecom which would drop out on me daily but would connect wirelessly so wireless wasn't a problem before this new router. I haven't tried changing the drivers as they seem to be the latest already.

Anyone have any ideas - I would love to stick with this modem as the ethernet connection is so much cleaner/faster than the old one - I do a far amount of video conferencing and it's noticeable.

ShoppingBro
21-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Does the router show up on the list of available networks? What exactly happens when you try to connect?

GameJunkie
21-12-2010, 10:58 AM
have you got the latest firmware for it?

Might be best to wait for Chill to come onboard, he's pretty clued up with this

mstee
21-12-2010, 11:01 AM
The router is definitely in the list, with full reception. After this last reset, the connection automatically tries (no request for key etc) - previous attempts had asked for the key/passphrase (sorry I am at work at the moment and can't remember the exact terminology used). The window that appears when attempting connection will disappear for a short time (clicking on the quicklink for networks will bring it back again) and then I get the window telling me the connection was not successful and had links to try to find out what went wrong (which showed basically no problems that were identifiable).

mstee
21-12-2010, 11:03 AM
@GameJunkie - I checked to see if any updates were required for both the router and the adapter - but I the router had the latest version installed and the adapter was on the latest driver too.

GameJunkie
21-12-2010, 11:05 AM
(on your laptop) right click the network icon and select troubleshoot connection.

let it run through and tell us what it says

edit: oops. read you post , seems you've done what i suggested

mstee
21-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Hehe - all I got told by the troubleshooter was to restart the modem and try again - I did that and also went one better and reset the modem, set up internet, then tried to set up wireless again - nada :(

GameJunkie
21-12-2010, 11:25 AM
it could be the channel the wireless is on.

http://www.netcomm.com.au/sm/common-questions/nb6w/how-to-stop-wireless-dropouts-and-improve-the-signal

try changing the channel to one, see what happens.

if no go , try all the odd channels first

if still and issue, try the even numbered channels

it could a simple issue like that but worth a shot

found this on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StGLjjEkfpc

and the pfd guide
http://media.netcomm.com.au/public/assets/pdf_file/0005/35888/WSG-NB6Plus4Wn.pdf

wireless instructions for vista but almost the same for win7
http://www.netcomm.com.au/support/knowledge-base/windows-vista

mstee
21-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Definitely worth another try when I get home tonight (I do remember changing this but that was near the beginning and I was trying to set up stronger security too so I'm not sure I've tried setting the channel along with the basic settings - I eliminated all the more complicated things I tried, thinking that the most basic setup would be the most likely to work (yeah right haha)). Unfortunately, I'm not all that convinced that the signal strength is the problem though, as it always shows full reception and it did (at least some times) get to the stage of asking for keys and still not connecting (using the stock key for NetComm, using a user-defined key (when I set one up) and using the router configured key (when that was set up) - none of them worked). I've tried most combinations of security and connection types available (unless they required a radius server as I haven't gotten around to setting one up yet).

GameJunkie
21-12-2010, 11:37 AM
let us know how it goes

after that, im all out of ideas :p :D

mstee
21-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Will do :) thanks for the input so far - can't hurt to try these things out. Still waiting to hear back from the vendors and netcomm too so hopefully will get it sorted soon.

GameJunkie
21-12-2010, 11:46 AM
could be the rare occasion of a fault with one of these.

i dont think anyone on here has had issues that hasn't been fixed.

looking at getting one of these myself

mstee
21-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Well, I can highly recommend the ethernet connections ;)

Chilling_Silence
21-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Whats your laptops network card?
Are you using WEP, WPA-personal or WPA2-personal?
TKIP or AES?

mstee
21-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Hi I'm still at work so can't check the ethernet card but the wireless one is a Realtek RTL8191SE (worked fine with the Thomson modem that Telecom provided).
As for the security settings, I think I tried 'em all - WEP+AES is standard with the basic setup on the modem I think - 10 char ascii key but I tried all combinations I could think of. I've had the router since Friday so played around a bit during the weekend. I've also tried to connect with no security enabled, as well as switching off my firewalls etc.

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2010, 05:29 PM
And what firewalls are installed on these? Just 1 on each I hope

mstee
21-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Haha - I meant my AV firewall - just in case it was interfering in some weird and wonderful way that I didn't know about. Didn't make any difference though - still wouldn't connect so turned it back on.

mstee
21-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Oh, I think I see what you mean now - I am only running the one router - 2 PCs but the desktop doesn't have wireless.

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2010, 05:36 PM
So neither have software based firewalls, besides the windows one?

mstee
21-12-2010, 06:02 PM
I have turned off windows firewall in preference to my actual AV but haven't set up anything specific for the router as yet - wanted to connect first :)

mstee
21-12-2010, 06:19 PM
it could be the channel the wireless is on.

@GameJunkie: You wonderful person - changing the channels on the basic setup did the trick - now to get it going with a little bit of security in place ;)

Thanks to all who answered - it's great to have such a knowledgebase in place - especially in godzone :)

Cheers - from one happy little wireless person

GameJunkie
21-12-2010, 07:19 PM
@GameJunkie: You wonderful person - changing the channels on the basic setup did the trick - now to get it going with a little bit of security in place ;)

Thanks to all who answered - it's great to have such a knowledgebase in place - especially in godzone :)

Cheers - from one happy little wireless person

your welcome :)

glad that it's fixed