PDA

View Full Version : Update Modem / Router recommendations?

Innocent Dingo
21-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Hi All

After having a bad run of technology failures I am looking at upgrading my modem setup.

From other threads I have read I have seen that in the past the Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn is recommended for an all in one solution and the Linksys AM300 in half bridge with Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato firmware is recommended for more technically inclined.

My needs included 2 Xboxes (one wired, one potentially wireless), Desktop PC (wired), 1 wireless laptop, Wii (wireless), iTouch and PS3 (probably wired). So four ports + wireless suits. I was previously using Dynalink 1025W which worked well and was pretty stable. I had a fair amount of issues getting Open NAT on Xbox (very important!) but did finally get it most of the time. However Dynalink seems to be going the way of the dodo :badpc: and I have plugged in a Thomson TG585v7. Based on threads on here this is rubbish modem and interface is terrible. I lso am struggling to get anything other than Strict NAT so want something better.

What are the latest recommended setups? Don't necessarily need N modem but would be nice. Only Xboxes will be able to take advantage of it so far anyway.

Thanks in advance! :)

wratterus
21-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Welcome to PressF1.

Definitely one of these (http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MODNCM1065&name=NETCOMM-NB6PLUS4Wn-ADSL2+-11n-Fully-featured-300Mb).

Chilling_Silence
21-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Yeah the TG585 is crap. Go with what wratterus said, or if you're *really* wanting to make sure that your gaming experiences are always top-notch, go with the AM300 in Halfbridge to WRT54GL. It'll cost you a little more, but the extra control and QoS is well worth it for anybody who's semi-serious about gaming!!

It means your desktop / laptop can fire up YouTube, or be uploading to Facebook, and your games won't suddenly kick the bucket while that's going on. Priceless IMO! ;)

Welcome to PressF1

Cheers

Chill.

wratterus
21-12-2010, 09:36 AM
FYI too, visually the interface of that netcomm modem is pretty much identical to the 1025w, so it will be a familiar layout.

Innocent Dingo
21-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the welcomes and the advice. I have had a peek on pricespy for AM300 but seems to be out of stock all over. Is there a decent alternative?

wratterus
21-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Look at the link in my first post...

Innocent Dingo
21-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Look at the link in my first post...

So use the Netcomm modem with the Linksys WRT54GL and tomato firmware? (If I am wanting to remove youtube and facebook from my lag causes)?

wratterus
21-12-2010, 03:43 PM
No sorry not if you are wanting traffic managment/QOS.

Only if you want a good standalone router.

Chilling_Silence
21-12-2010, 05:11 PM
You've realistically got two mainstream options:
Linksys AM300 - Does Half-Bridge
Draytek DV120 - Does PPPoA -> PPPoE passthru

I use the AM300 personally. It's well worth the investment in my opinion!!

See here for more details of the two:
http://www.linux.net.nz/pipermail/aucklug/2010-December/007242.html