PDA

View Full Version : Website Design/Creation

Myth
21-12-2010, 08:44 AM
I am curious, how does one get into website design/coding. Any good tutorials or guides?
I know the basics: how to code html at the moment (WYSIWYG and also notepad), how to upload and get a real basic website online; but not sure where to proceed from here. This might become just a hobby, or it may lead to other things (dependent on if I really like it)

Are apps like Wordpress something I should become familiar with, or are there other things I need to know first?
Also, must one master apps like Paintshop for design purposes?

Cellux
21-12-2010, 09:18 AM
What are you more likely to want to do?
Design or code?

For coding, a course might be necessary. Depending on how in depth you want to do it.

If you're looking to design websites, it again, depends on what you want to be able to do with it.

Wordpress is good one for a simple website (2-10 pages) that you don't have really much control over unless you're going to mod it.

For larger-scale websites you'll need to use a CMS (Content management system). Makes managing the website, as well as monitoring it insanely easier.
My personal favorite for advanced websites (I've used so many...) is CMS Made Simple (or CMSMS) (http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/). It has a modular system so you can add/remove functions as necessary and is much easier to modify the theme then other CMS available.

kahawai chaser
21-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Joomla is also a modular system that you may want to learn from, or maybe Wordpress or Blogger. I learnt design (or elements of it) from hacking blogger templates to make them look like web sites. But also learnt from online html tutorials. But as noted by Cellux is it design or coding?, or even from ready made templates - just to start might help.

But the best approach for web site implementation is learning from the ground up, i.e. scripting - html, php, css, javascript, perl, cms, etc. This allows customization as well. About com has dozens of tutorials for web coding/design. Then you need (or should) learn SEO (on page/off page) optimization if you want unique visitors, since the web is increasing becoming cluttered.

I use free photo programs for design, e.g. photofiltre (http://photofiltre.en.softonic.com/), paint net, etc and sometimes get free images from stock sites, e.g. the popular sxc (free), Wikipedia commons, etc.

Myth
21-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Well ok, whats the difference between code and design. I figured that one would need to know both? Maybe I am wrong in this assumption?

kahawai chaser
21-12-2010, 12:16 PM
From what I have learnt from SEO - web design relates to userability, i.e. to have a good site architecture/design, to allow relatively simple navigation to users/visitors, without them leaving your site in a hurry. Explained better here (http://searchengineland.com/key-information-architecture-concepts-every-seo-should-know-45288) or here. (http://www.searchenginejournal.com/breaking-it-down-why-site-navigation-matters/22717/) Landing page is mentioned a lot for good design. A simple site may not require a good design depending on goals.

I think you mean image editing/design?

Coding are the element/scripts to generate a site, not necessarily for overall design to visitors.

Cellux
21-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Designers work in programs like Photoshop or Dreamweaver, bringing it all into a good looking interface.
Most designers usually have a coder that does all the coding behind their design, to bring it to life rather then just being a static image.

If you want to learn to do everything properly though, schooling of some sort will help.

mzee
12-03-2011, 07:11 PM
I have been doing web sites for many years and always avoided WSWG because of limitations.

I am now using "Web Realizer" which is amazing! Turns out good code, allows you to edit/create style sheets, insert HTML, insert shopping cart forms, create other forms. No problem editing a file as you can export individual files if you wish. The online help is the best that I have ever experienced. Unlike most, you email a real person and usually get a reply the same day, depending on what time it is in the States. Cost about US$49.00 and worth it.

You can use "Dream Weaver", but I found the learning curve too steep, and the price of over $1000.00 a rip off. If you are a professional Web Designer go for it, but if like me you just create a few sites and its not your daytime job, I think you will find "Web Realizer" ideal.