PDA

View Full Version : Default Email Address

Oose
20-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Hi. I am trying to help someone using Outlook 2003 and they have two email accounts set up of which one is obviously the default email.

I want to set it up so that even if an email comes in to the non default address, if they hit reply, it will reply from the default address and not the address it was originally sent to.

Can this be done?

I know you can manually change accounts each time you reply or send or whatever, but I want to try and keep things simple for someone who has trouble even turning the computer on.

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
20-12-2010, 03:46 PM
When you go to reply, click on the arrow at the end of the from (I think it shows from) box. This should show both email addies. Select the email addy you want to send from. Is that what you mean?

Or is that you mean when you say

I know you can manually change accounts each time you reply or send or whatever ? If the non default addy doesnt belong to the isp youre using, it may not send anyway. port 25 maybe blocked

gary67
20-12-2010, 05:50 PM
this is from Outlook 07 I think 03 is similar can't remember anymore.

Tools-account settings then make the one you want default

Oose
20-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks Speedy and Gary. I realise you can choose which address from the drop down but was hoping to avoid that.

Basically I was hoping it would receive from both emails but only ever send from one, even if it was the other addy that is being replied from.

I will make sure they choose the address every time.

Thanks

Safari
20-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Do what gary said.
Tools/Email accounts/view or change and next
Select the account and set as default.

Oose
20-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks but I have it set as default. Unless I am missing something, it is only the default address for creating a new email. If I am replying to an email sent to the address I dont want to be sending from it will still reply from that address and not the default address.

Safari
20-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Tools/Email accounts/view or change and next
Click on Change and More Settings
There is a box there where you can type in the reply email address you want to use.