PDA

View Full Version : USB Drive not Recognised

JohnnyR
19-12-2010, 12:48 PM
I plugged in my Seagate external hard drive this morning and stared to back up my files.

Things stopped and i got a message saying, "USB Drive not recognised. One of the USB drives allocated to this computer has malfunctioned,Windows does not recognise it."

I've changed USB cords, between the hard drive and computer with another Seagate Drive I have and tried a different USB port on the computer and still get the same message.

I've plugged my MP3 player into one of these ports on the computer and it works fine.

Any idea of what the problem is would be appreciated.

JR

Speedy Gonzales
19-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Does it have its own power?? If it does is it plugged into the mains?

wainuitech
19-12-2010, 12:58 PM
I've changed USB cords, between the hard drive and computer with another Seagate Drive I have and tried a different USB port on the computer and still get the same message. Thats a little confusing the way its written.

Have you tried another Seagate External Hard drive and get the same error message, or just its cable ?

Have you tried the suspect drive on another computer to see if that gives the same error ?

The fact that your MP3 player is detected usually means the USB Port is fine.

What OS are you using ?

JohnnyR
19-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks for your interest everyone.

I had a flash of inspiration and turned my computer off and started up again and everything is working fine now. Fingers crossed

JR

Speedy Gonzales
19-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Did you reboot it?? I wouldnt turn it off then on too often. Unless you want to corrupt something

JohnnyR
20-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks Speedy. I first disconnected the hard drive and used the turn-off computer function.

JR