PDA

View Full Version : Speed test - are these results any good ?

globe
18-12-2010, 01:17 PM
I've no idea so if someone could give me an idea.

Ping 63ms
download 3836kbps
upload 120kbps

I'm on xnet and live on north shore.

thanks

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2010, 01:19 PM
What server did you choose? The speed could be better. Well depending on the plan you're on

Snorkbox
18-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Upload speed is lower than I would want.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1075110673.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

CyberHubHost
19-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi Globe,
The theoretical maximum for standard ADSL for download is 8000kbps upload 800kbps. So generally the speed that people get is much slower than this.

Things like your router quality and distance from the exchange and the quality of the wiring in your house degrade the signal.

I think that your download speed is average and your upload is below average, but most people don't mind about the upload speed as most people don't upload much.

Some areas have ADSL2 and the theoretical maximum for that is 24000kbps but the most I have ever gotten is 12000kbps.

The next copper based broadband standard that will be coming out will be VDSL2 which Telecom has made noises about and that has a theoretical maximum of 100Mbit/s at 0.5 km from the exchange.

But as we all know, everyone is currently talking about fibre which is 100Mbit/s at much longer ranges.

Agent_24
19-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Downstream is not too bad, looks like you live a bit away from the exchange\cabinet.

Upstream is a bit sad but your ISP may be limiting you there.

Chilling_Silence
20-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Upstream is a bit sad but your ISP may be limiting you there.

My thoughts exactly.

Check your plan with Xnet.

Also, try a few speed tests at different parts of the day to see how much your speed varies.

If you can login to your router, check under the ADSL Line Status page and see what the sync speeds are, as well as the SNR / Attenuation values are and post them here.