PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Setup on Win 7

learning
17-12-2010, 05:39 PM
I need to create the simplest possible way to connect to a WiFi hot spot on Win 7 laptop

Its for my folks who have very limited PC know how. They are going away on vacation and will be staying at hotels or other places where they have Free WiFi or will provide keys to secured hotspots.

I know Win 7 should automatically pick up WiFi and try to connect but in the event if it doesnt what is the easiest to go about connecting to one?

What settings i can select or enable where Win will automatically try connect or pop up with wifi hotspot. Can i create some kinda shortcut on desktop that does a 1 touch magic?

Or what settings should be turned ON to make it really easy Win to connect to a WiFi yet at the same time give some kinda security that doesnt go and try to connect willy nilly to any hotspot

Cheers

jareemon
17-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Cant imagine there being a magic fix, but win 7, you just click the wifi logo near the clock, then select a connection and click connect. I know you said theyre old, but if they can turn a computer on, im sure it wont be so hard to teach them those 3 steps :)

:pf1mobmini:

jareemon
17-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Oh wait, you didnt say theyre old, sorry :)

Nomad
17-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Thing is some hotels/motels need you to input a password ....

jareemon
17-12-2010, 07:02 PM
The hotel/motel staff should be able to help them connect anyway

The Error Guy
17-12-2010, 08:25 PM
As long as the WiFi switch is ON then there should be no trouble. write them basic instructions too.

There will be no option for W7 (or any OS) to automatically connect to any hotspot in range because of the security issues. Once you connect you can tell the computer to automatically reconnect to the hotspot though

learning
18-12-2010, 01:37 PM
thanks all...i will see what i can best do which is easy and secure