PDA

View Full Version : PC Upgrade

sahilcc7
16-12-2010, 05:11 PM
I am upgrading an old dead computer for someone. He has this 5 year old Dell which has had a new power supply sometime before. The motherboard has died according to pbtech. I have found some parts which I might just put together and reuse some old parts.

This is what I have got:

CPU

AMD Athlon II X2 260 3.2G AM3 ($114)

Motherboard

Gigabyte MA74GMT-S2 DDR3 ($103)

Ram

DDR3 1333MHz 2GB Hynix PC ($75)

Case

iCute Q02-4G ($70)

TOTAL = $362

Are all the parts compattible?

I am reusing HDD, CD/DVD Drive, Power supply, Monitor...etc

Will be running windows 7. Is peformance okay?

It will just be for quick web browsing, emails, word processing...etc.

He has another new one he recently bought : Intel i3, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd

What are your ideas on this upgrade?

Thanks for the help!

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2010, 05:21 PM
The mobo (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3268#bios) and CPU should be fine.

BUT, depending on WHAT BIOS is on the mobo, it may have to be flashed (if F4 of the BIOS isnt on it). Since you need F4 so it supports that CPU. According to this (http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3268). If F4 isnt on it, it wont turn on / boot

Altho, it maybe different (depending on the revision of the mobo)

sahilcc7
16-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Okay, what about the performance? Will it run 7 well?

:pf1mobmini:

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Well Win7 should be fine. Whether it performs well is another matter :p I dont have Win7 and never had an AMD CPU

SolMiester
17-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Okay, what about the performance? Will it run 7 well?

:pf1mobmini:

yes, fine!

8ftmetalhaed
17-12-2010, 08:36 AM
I'd personally try and test the psu first too, just in case the old mobo died as a result of a new psu or anything.
You wouldn't want to buy all these nice new bits and blow them up on a rank power supply.

Also the i3's are pretty good performance at a nice price point, and their integrated graphics are useful for non gamers for watching movies and the like, or so I hear.

and yeah maybe check that everything will work, if the HDD is an old IDE or Sata 1 hard drive, perhaps update that too?
As for the cd drive.. doesn't really matter if it's IDE or Sata, there should be 1 ide connector on the board somewhere, and their performance isn't generally required to be millions of gigabytes a second for 12 hours a day so should be fine.