PDA

View Full Version : Best CD and DVD blank discs.

Krad
16-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Have been using Sony discs and am quite satisfied but have chance to try others at good price. Anyone's experience with Verbatim or Imation would help me decide. Pro's and con's please.

GameJunkie
16-12-2010, 09:49 AM
info here
http://www.best-dvd-burning-software-reviews.com/best-blank-dvd-media.asp
here
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
and here
http://lifehacker.com/220373/choose-the-best-blank-dvds

worth a read

Zippity
16-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Burn slower - Taiyo Yuden (use the made in Japan ones) by far the best :)

http://blankcd.co.nz/dvd-r-printable-taiyoyuden.htm

16-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Most 'name brands' are actually just re-branded & manufactured elsewhere.
Try the links above, but I would suspect the actual disk manufacturer & actual disk type, would change often , so use as a guide only

Personally, the el cheapies seem to work just as well(for me) as the name brand disks. I Dont like Imation (just a personal bias, dont seem as reliable)
All depends what you are using them for.

dugimodo
16-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Myself After much research a few years back settled on Verbatim as easily available, cheap and consistently near the top of the tests.

Taiyo Yuden do rate better if you get the right ones but aren't commonly sold in NZ other than online.

Things change though and I haven't looked into this recently.

edit: I don't like Imation and should mention Verbatim are usually mistsubishi made but cheaper than mitsubishi's own branded disks - always seemed odd to me.

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2010, 12:00 PM
I use anything, never had a prob with any of them. Sony, Princo, SKC

dugimodo
16-12-2010, 01:44 PM
I have had problems with princo, they worked fine at the time but when I go back to them a year or more later some of the disks no longer read reliably

Krad
16-12-2010, 02:16 PM
I have had problems with princo, they worked fine at the time but when I go back to them a year or more later some of the disks no longer read reliably

Me too. Bought some Princo DVD-RW discs and after a few months found them unreadable.

autechre
17-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Depends on whether you want the disc to be readable in a few years.
Imation in my experience tend to vary between ok & rubbish, so have avoided them for a number of years.
Verbatim are generally good.
The Sony's i've used have been good
Taiyo Yuden's have been excellent.

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2010, 10:09 AM
With some of the cd's I have I just create ISO's out of them. So, if the cd/dvd decides to die. I'll just create another. If its for the computer or hardware, I'll just download the file/s then burn them. If I have to

utopian201
17-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Burn slower[/url]

Don't burn slower, but don't burn fastest either. You'd think burning slower would give better results, but depending on the disc, you can actually get -worse- results. I don't know why, but some discs like faster speeds (for example I have verbatim 48x cds which have better quality when burned at 8x compared to 4x and 16x).

Best quality is a combination of your burner, its firmware and the disc. If your burner is rubbish, it will affect the quality of your burn.

Myth
17-12-2010, 01:04 PM
I use (and have used) Sony, Imation, SKC - never really had an issue with any of them

Someone gave me Transonics once - I used 2, threw another out, and gave them back

Agent_24
17-12-2010, 01:34 PM
The Mitsubishi Blue Azo CD-Rs from Dick Smith were great

Zippity
17-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Don't burn slower, but don't burn fastest either. You'd think burning slower would give better results, but depending on the disc, you can actually get -worse- results. I don't know why, but some discs like faster speeds (for example I have verbatim 48x cds which have better quality when burned at 8x compared to 4x and 16x).

Best quality is a combination of your burner, its firmware and the disc. If your burner is rubbish, it will affect the quality of your burn.

I meant attempt a burn at a slower speed if you are having difficulties recording at whatever speed you are currently attempting.

Better still, use decent media.