PDA

View Full Version : Transferring iTunes - The battle never ends.

WarNox
16-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Hey!

So this has been my kryptonite for some time now. Every time I go to transfer someones PC to a new one, re-create the user profile, join a PC to the domain... iTunes has to be there to ruin the process.

I'd like to know what the proper way to transfer iTunes between profiles/computer is without losing anything? That includes wiping the iPod/iPhone when plugged back in, play-lists etc...

I've tried copying all the %userprofile%\My Music\iTunes folder over but then you have to locate each song manually as the xml file doesn't point to the right location (and the option to locate all the songs at once didn't work).

Tried copying just the xml/iTunes library files and pointing iTunes to the new location but then you have to add the songs back in manually anyway. Also, both of these processes wiped the phone, including the apps.

I've spend a decent few hrs researching this but nothing seems to work.

Therefore I hope someone here has a good working solution for this :D

Thanks in advance!

davidmmac
16-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Hmm, whenever I reformat my pc I just back up and then restore the My Music folder, all songs are there, all I have to do is authorize it.

fred_fish
16-12-2010, 09:29 AM
http://xkcd.com/488/

16-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Itunes was the reason I sold my Ipod. A great player ruined by lousey PC software.
Itunes (PC) is terrible . Look for 3rd party software to transfer itunes may be your best bet, will probly not be free.

Safari
16-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Can you not just go to File/Library/Backup to disc

pablo d
16-12-2010, 10:48 AM
The Clickfree Transformer SE lets you easily transfer songs from iPod to PC, and given it's primarily a PC backup device I'm sure backing up/transferring iTunes files between PCs is just as easy?

WarNox
16-12-2010, 11:38 AM
What I'm trying to do isn't even doing anything iTunes doesn't allow by design (like copying from iPod to computer) and all the songs are legit but the software just doesn't do what it's supposed to do!

This will be the reason I never buy an apple product.

wainuitech
16-12-2010, 01:36 PM
What I'm trying to do isn't even doing anything iTunes doesn't allow by design (like copying from iPod to computer) and all the songs are legit but the software just doesn't do what it's supposed to do!

This will be the reason I never buy an apple product.Copytrans (http://www.copytrans.net/copytrans.php) will do it.

As per the original post, when reinstalling a person PC, I simply copy the Itunes music folder to a removable drive, then to put back, install itunes, and drop the previous folder back into the new itunes.

If It doesn't auto pick it up, simply go file/add folder to library, navigate to the new itunes folder -- and bingo all back. Never failed yet and all play fine.