PDA

View Full Version : Viruses on the increase ??

SP8's
15-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Is it my imagination or are there a greater number of scams and nasties going around at the moment and how much more difficult is it to get rid of them ??

The Microsoft one where people get scammed into allowing "MS" to download a program onto the "customers" HD ... difficult to get rid of ???

The "Encryption Ransom" ... have they found a fix ... or at least protection against getting infected ???

I noticed that I had about 15 security updates come through from MS on auto update but haven't had the chance to read up on all of them yet ... any connection to the above ???

It would be interesting to hear from some of the techs on this subject ... it may warn or assist a lot of users.

Speedy Gonzales
15-12-2010, 10:45 PM
It takes a while to find a fix....Give them time. There was a similar one to the encryption one, where they found the password to decrypt whatever. Its probably worse for social networking sites like FB, or twitter. Since, a lot of people go there, and its easier to hit a lot of them all at once

gary67
16-12-2010, 07:45 AM
One of the 14 I received and didn't check because I was in a hurry a turned the computer off broke my outlook it would send but not receive

16-12-2010, 10:52 AM
virus's were originally more aimed at vandalism (by hackers)
now they are often a means to scam/extort money (by criminals)
Its just been a fact of life for the last 10 years+

A bit of common sense is the best way to stop virus infections, and a updated AV & spyware scanner.
NO AV program will ever stop all virus's, AV programs will allways be one step behind.
Its not that hard to avoid virus infection, many here dont have any serious issues with them.
- turn off email autopreview
- consider alternatives to IE, Outlook, Outllook Express
- think twice before opening an email
- increase Outlook Express/Outlook security settings
- Keep Win updated
- dont open joke emails (this is advice that many refuse to follow)
- avoid dodgy sites, avoid P2P , filesharing, cracks etc
- NEVER CLICK ON A POP_UP
- dont let others 'play' on your PC - seriously this causes many virus infections
- if its a work PC, then treat it as a tool , not a toy.

pctek
16-12-2010, 11:52 AM
And there was once a virus. Now there are viruses, trojans, and numerous types of spyware, etc etc.
So virus isn't a good generic term, malware I suppose.
Yes it increases, but I guess older ones drop off in use, and then they all make replicas of the newer ones and so on.

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Many of the new true viruses have no payload other than replication and slowing down your PC as a result. The art of writing a good virus with a payload is all but gone these days, with the recent exception of the virus that encrypted your FAT / MFT (I think that's what it did).