PDA

View Full Version : Dead Computer..... next steps?

aidanmaz
15-12-2010, 02:09 PM
A family friend came to me as his computer wasnt booting, on closer inspection the mobo appeared to be dead, no matter which power supply i put in, it never booted, i unplugged everything and tried to get it started. Its obviously past its prime, and died. Now some data has been backed up, and some like emails havent, the PC was running XP Pro, i believe there are older programs on it which mostly wont work with 7, and new versions are avaible but i think the idea of having to upgrade will be deemed inappropriate. Is there a way to move the HDD to another PC? i know with XP i cant just whack it in another oldish machine and expect it to work. Is there a way to do it without losing ANY files?

SP8's
15-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Put it in a running machine and swap jumpers to make it a slave drive .... will allow you to copy any data that you want to keep. That's assuming it's the mobo that's stuffed and not the HD.

Speedy Gonzales
15-12-2010, 02:13 PM
You cant copy programs that have already been install either.

So, the only files you can copy are emails / contacts, docs, bookmarks. They'll have to reinstall everything else

aidanmaz
15-12-2010, 02:21 PM
I gathered i cant copy program files, as there are registry files needed and whatnot. The HDD is fine, its just the mobo, i had to take ownership of the files on the hdd when i put it in my machine. I thought i could re run the XP setup and repair it, without losing data, which would enable it to boot on another machine. Im trying to avoid getting a new PC as it would involve getting new versions of older apps, which would cost more money, which is the huge determining factor.

wainuitech
15-12-2010, 02:23 PM
"sometimes", and I'm using the term loosely, if you put the Old HDD (as long as its still working) onto another PC, thats close to the original hardware wise, it will boot into safe mode and allow you to recover the data that way, OR you can do a repair install, and sometimes it will boot up again on the other hardware.

If this works, it will pop up with warnings about activation etc. Sometimes it works other times it doesn't.

Edited: and you will need the COA to enter.

aidanmaz
15-12-2010, 02:25 PM
activation isnt an issue, i have the key and i dont mind explaining to MS what happened. The reason im pushing for this is because i do not want to lose any data, and i cant identifiy every program installed on the original HDD, so i can look for windows 7 versions.

Speedy Gonzales
15-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Most programs SHOULD work in Win7 (I dont know of any that wont work). Apart from some games. Unless its 64 bit and it needs 64 bit drivers

SolMiester
15-12-2010, 02:30 PM
activation isnt an issue, i have the key and i dont mind explaining to MS what happened. The reason im pushing for this is because i do not want to lose any data, and i cant identifiy every program installed on the original HDD, so i can look for windows 7 versions.

If I recall correctly, a repair install will renew the administrator account too, so if the old pc used the admin account you may be in danger of wiping the admin user data which contains e-mails etc....

pctek
15-12-2010, 02:33 PM
So if it is the motherboard (and you did test the RAM too right?), just replace MB, RAM and CPU, and re-use the rest of it.

aidanmaz
15-12-2010, 02:38 PM
I did test the ram, i tested everything, the mobo is dead, I dont want to replace the board/chip etc, as im not very good in that area, and i dont want to mess anything up. Its an IBM ThinkCentre.

SolMiester
15-12-2010, 02:43 PM
I did test the ram, i tested everything, the mobo is dead, I dont want to replace the board/chip etc, as im not very good in that area, and i dont want to mess anything up. Its an IBM ThinkCentre.

Ah, had plenty of those die...what model is it? might have a spare one lying around

aidanmaz
15-12-2010, 03:18 PM
MT-M 9215-A6M
S/N: L3K 1988

thats all the info i can find, at the bottom of the front of the case.

SolMiester
15-12-2010, 04:21 PM
MT-M 9215-A6M
S/N: L3K 1988

thats all the info i can find, at the bottom of the front of the case.

Okay, dont have that model, I have Small form factor units 9218 etc...they are very expensive to replace (mobo) if you have no warranty, circa $400, when really they arent worth half that...

Have you checked the warranty hasnt expired....?

Paul.Cov
15-12-2010, 05:13 PM
I think no matter what you do, you should first of all set the drive as slave / secondary, and make an image of the drive - that way you can reverse any stuff-ups and try alternate recovery strategies.

The SFF ThinkCentres I've had here have visibly bad capacitors. The holes for the capacitor pins are very narrow, so getting replacement caps properly seated is a bit of a fiddle... but if you're game, it may be worth a crack to resurrect the mobo.

aidanmaz
16-12-2010, 01:56 PM
being a Sys adamin, this really isnt my area, i was going to refer it onto a PC repair place, but they need to know the CPU socket. being its a thinkcentre MT-M 9215-A6M S/N: L3K 1988, what is the socket? I have an image of the drive and even a Vm of it (tho it blue screens, something to do with the conversion i think) I basically tried everything in my knowledge, and will have to admit defeat. So back to the question what is the cpu sockett?

SolMiester
16-12-2010, 03:00 PM
What does it say on the stick...P4?, Core 2, Core?

16-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Remove the CPU fan & socket no will be on the cpu socket itself, on older P4 type PC's

I found this info, you may need to confirm it, let us know the numbers on the motherboard
SIS 661FX CHIPSET,
Probhably Intel Socket 775 P4 CPU.

so find a m/b with a SIS 661FX CHIPSET & the old HD should work (& load WIN) with minimum effort
Try trademe, but be aware the replacement mb may be just as bad

You are setting yourself up for a fair bit of grief (been there). Perhaps Just recover all the data & be done with it, or put the HD in a usb HD.
The PC , when going would only have been worth $100 MAX ?? if its an old P4-single core.
perhaps just replace the whole PC with a similar spec used one & live with the fact some programs will need re-installing from CD's.

SolMiester
16-12-2010, 03:21 PM
I do have several of those SFF here, and with the SIS chipset, just not your model........its probably not worth the freight to courier it up!..