PDA

View Full Version : What's the correct story with 32bit and 64bit Win7 install media

wratterus
15-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I can't quite figure this out. It would appear the install media is identical and it's just the key that defines weather the installation is 64bit or 32bit. Is that right? It seems a bit too easy...

Chilling_Silence
15-12-2010, 11:54 AM
It all depends. Some media is 32bit & 64-bit (On a single DVD-9 Disc), and its just the key that differentiates.

Sometimes it's the media that's different (One disc for 32-bit and one for 64-bit), and the key is the same between the two.

Why do you ask?

Some devices, like some HP Laptops, ask you on first boot if you want it to "Restore" the 32-bit or 64-bit image. Clever!

wratterus
15-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Just wondering, trying to organize my disks. Although with OEM software I've just managed to answer my own question, see attached image. Apart from the size being significantly larger, it looks like the 'X' in the file name denotes the 64 bit.

Toshiba is the same with the 32 or 64 restore thing, very handy.

wainuitech
15-12-2010, 12:27 PM
The license key will work on either version 32 or 64 Bit, but it wont tell it which one to install, the license key determines what version is installed, as in Home Pre, professional, Ultimate etc.

If you have a Home Premium DVD and a Professional Key, it also wont work, as the ei.cfg. located in the sources/ Directory on the DVD is different.

EG:
[EditionID]
HomePremium
[Channel]
OEM
[VL]

Of course you can always remove the ei.cfg from the ISO image, and then you get a DVD that will take any legal key you like, OEM, Retail, for what ever version -- a little like Vista was. As shown (http://windows7center.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/eicfg.jpg) Of course the key will still only activate the particular version it is for.

dugimodo
15-12-2010, 02:24 PM
When you buy an OEM version it is either 32 or 64 bit not both and the key will only work for whichever version you purchased.

Other versions such as retail etc allow you to choose on install.

wainuitech
15-12-2010, 02:29 PM
The same key will work on both 32 & 64 Bit of the same version, Eg:Home Pre.

When you buy the OEM DVD, you will only get 1 DVD, thats correct. BUT if you brought a 32bit OS, then got hold of a 64, the same key will work on the 64.