PDA

View Full Version : .SWF to .FLV Conversion

B.M.
15-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Anyone know of a programme that will actually convert .swf files to .flv?

I’ve got friends who can open .flv files but not .swf.

I E-Mailed them “Flash Movie Player” which I use to open .swf files but because it’s an .exe file their security won’t allow it through.

Given they are computer illiterate, I don’t want to involved with them messing with their computers, so I figured I’d just convert the short clips to something they can open.

I converted one clip which was a 3.21meg .swf file to .mp4 and it blew out to 76.2meg so that wasn’t the answer. :D

:thanks

GameJunkie
15-12-2010, 10:50 AM
format factory, xmedia recode

either should do the job

gary67
15-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Any video converter. Free and simple found here (http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/)

B.M.
15-12-2010, 01:03 PM
The three programmes mentioned above are all versatile programmes but none seem to be able to convert SWF to FLV. :confused:

I’ve had Any Video Converter for zonks Gary and this is the first conversion to stump it. ;)

It seems to be the SWF part that is the problem.

Anyway, what else is there?

I’ve googled their site down and even downloaded a couple of trial programmes that claimed to be able to do the conversion. They all could change the SWF file to anything, other than FLV. :crying

wratterus
15-12-2010, 01:14 PM
If you can't convert it, what about a screen capture software and saving it as an AVI?

Like snagit.

B.M.
15-12-2010, 01:38 PM
If you can't convert it, what about a screen capture software and saving it as an AVI?

Like snagit.

Yep, I thought of that wratterus but I’m trying to keep the file size down.

I even tried converting the SWF file to MP4, (which as I said in the first post blew a 3.21meg file out to 76.2meg) :eek: and then converting the MP4 to FLV. Unfortunately, the result was awful with poor quality and sound miles out of sync. :groan:

Odd really, because the SWF to MP4 conversion was excellent. :confused:

Phil B
16-12-2010, 09:03 AM
When I send exe files to my mum, I rename the .exe to BUM so she sees it & I also type in the email a step by step explanation on how to rename the BUM extension to .exe. I've done this a lot of times & every time I have to supply the step by step instruction. She's totally computer terrified, but she does it

kamo1
16-12-2010, 12:07 PM
To receive exe files, you have to open OE, Tools, Options and click on the Security Tab.
Uncheck "Do not allow attachment to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" then click apply & OK. Now you should be able to save or run the file.

dpDesignz
16-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Whenever I send a .exe file to someone, I put it in a .zip file and ship it off. Easiest and safest option in my opinion. One question though, if you can email them an .exe, why don't you just send them a link to where you downloaded the program form and they download it?

Phil B
16-12-2010, 03:12 PM
I tried the zip idea. That was seriously painful. The reason being that Zipgenius or whatever you use buries the un-zipped files/folders in the computer. It doesn't matter if it's only the download folder, it's out of sight. If it doesn't slap her in the face, it's buried.
With an email attachment she can right click it, save it to her desktop, rename it & install it

B.M.
17-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks Guys.

I think that is the best way Phil, although your mother may be a genius alongside these characters. ;)

I managed to find a Trial Programme (IwiSoft) which did convert the SWF to FLV format but it turned a 3 Meg File into 10Meg so it looks to me like the SWF format is the way to go when the Quality/File Size ratio is a primary consideration.

Given the SWF player is only 500K it makes sense to simply install that.

I’m now faced with getting these characters to be able to change the extension on the player file. I thought of “Zipping” it but figured that would confuse things further.

Maybe a two hour drive and install the stuff myself might be the less painful. ;)

Yes I tried giving them the link to the player download by an E-Mail with a “Click Here” link insertion but even that proved too confusing. :crying

However, I’m still at a loss to understand why there doesn’t seem to be any programmes readily available that can convert swf files to flv files. Given the number of programmes out there that supposedly convert anything to anything the swf file type seems to have been completely overlooked.

Personally, I’m impressed with the swf format given the quality/file size ratio.

bevy121
17-12-2010, 11:33 PM
http://www.swfflvconverter.com/swf-to-flv-converter.html

B.M.
18-12-2010, 11:59 AM
http://www.swfflvconverter.com/swf-to-flv-converter.html

Thanks for the suggestion bevy.

I tried that programme earlier on and despite it insisting it could convert a swf file to flv, I couldn’t get it to.

Anyway, I thought I would give it another go but still no luck. Going back to the Site I found in amongst the dialogue a bit pointing out that you need another one of their programmes installed to get it to work. (Looks a clever way to sell two programmes)

So I installed the other programme as well. Still no luck, got error messages about unable to convert to English, but when it opened it was in English and another doozy message advising that an unnamed file couldn’t be found. (No kidding). :illogical

Regretfully, that programme won’t do anything it’s supposed to, well not on my machine anyway. :D

(XP SP2)

FoxyMX
18-12-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm not on my main machine at the moment so can't check but AVS4You might have an app to do the job. Only catch is that you can try it out but will have to pay to remove their stamp.

Phil B
18-12-2010, 10:55 PM
I'd email it to them, ring them & walk them through it. Patience is the order of the day. I walked my Mum through the process of setting Thunderbird to save all the attachments to a folder on her desktop. It made life much easier for me. She goes straight to the folder all on her own now & when she sees my BUM file, she knows what to do

B.M.
19-12-2010, 07:24 AM
I'm not on my main machine at the moment so can't check but AVS4You might have an app to do the job. Only catch is that you can try it out but will have to pay to remove their stamp.

Thanks for that suggestion FoxyMX,

I don’t mind paying for a programme as long as it does what it claims, so I went to the AVS4You site and found that they claimed that it could convert SWF files to any format which was encouraging. However, I then found that there was a little note in the small print that advised that it couldn’t convert SWF files that had sound attached. It was a swf video only converter, which may also explain why the other programmes wouldn’t work. ;)

Seems that however the sound is embedded in a swf file makes it virtually impossible to isolate and convert let alone maintaining sync.

This raises another point.

The swf files that are the subject of this exercise play perfectly on my two computers with the music ending exactly in time with the video. However, on my wife’s new Laptop, using the same file, the video lags the sound which means the music has to start again before the video has finished, which in turn makes for a most undignified ending. :D

Fortunately it is only background music which doesn’t have to be in sync all the way through, however both video and sound finishing on time would be nice. For what it’s worth, each video clip stays on screen fractionally longer on my wife’s computer, even though her computer has a lot more grunt than either of mine.

All an interesting exercise that I don’t mind persevering with, given that these swf files produce very good picture and sound quality, given their small file size. ;)

B.M.
19-12-2010, 07:36 AM
I'd email it to them, ring them & walk them through it. Patience is the order of the day. I walked my Mum through the process of setting Thunderbird to save all the attachments to a folder on her desktop. It made life much easier for me. She goes straight to the folder all on her own now & when she sees my BUM file, she knows what to do

There’s an old adage Phil that goes “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink” and it certainly applies to these characters.

Once they’ve decided they can’t do it, that’s it.

Even double-clicking doesn’t come easy, which is why I wanted to convert the swf files to something they could just double-click, even though that would extend them. :D

Phil B
19-12-2010, 08:17 AM
lol. Good luck & enjoy the drive.

B.M.
19-12-2010, 08:59 AM
lol. Good luck & enjoy the drive.

Thanks Phil, their beer fridges are usually well stocked so I guess that’s an upside. :D

jd2759
20-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Do it online
http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-flv

B.M.
21-12-2010, 07:09 AM
Do it online
http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-flv

Thanks for the link but unfortunately it won't do it either. :crying

I'm sure it is something to do with the sound in the swf file. These converters only handle video only.